No announcement yet.

Wearing Crosses at Work Banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also particularly stupid (not that you can expect otherwise from such people.) Isn't the hood for anonymity?

As for jewelry: if you are going to ban people from wearing items containing religious symbolism, why allow other jewelry? What is the reasoning behind banning the religious symbols in the first place? If it's because they might offend Miss Snowflake, are there really no non-religious symbols that might possibly offend someone (or even are designed for the purpose?) If it's because you hallucinate yourself into believing that an employee's wearing a cross or pentacle or whatever represents your business as supporting that, then again, why draw the line at *religion* when there are so many other symbols out there, many of which you might not recognize?
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 06-04-2012, 05:51 PM. Reason: Add a second point
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
      Either one. They should be treated the same as other jewelry, should they not?
      Actually no. They are both swastikas yes, but that doesn't mean they're the same symbol.

Saying they're the same is a bit like saying this star is the same thing as this star. they're both 5-pointed stars but one is rather military-ish and the other is a Wiccan symbol.

So as to yes or no... it depends on if the swastika is a nazi one or a hindu one. Why the difference?

One symbolizes a political party and the other symbolizes shakti ("sacred symbol of auspiciousness" according to wiki).

therefore only the religious symbol is protected under discrimination laws. flashing around the nazi party flag however can be interpreted as racial harassment - so allowing it brings the company to a position where it's actually violating discrimination laws.

and - i'm not quoting it but it was said that some would mistake one for the other.
      that's possible. hell i met people dumb enough to confuse the Star of David with the Wiccan star cos apparently they couldn't tell the difference between 5 and 6. (sesame street failed for them I guess).

But that doesn't mean their lack of education should be used as a deciding factor on what is and isn't allowed.

which is why i go back to my original point... slightly rephrased perhaps.

if you don't want someone wearing religious jewelry at work, ban ALL jewelry. If you single out religion you're making up rules based on creed - even if it's against all creeds.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        As for jewelry: if you are going to ban people from wearing items containing religious symbolism, why allow other jewelry?
        Meh. you said it better than i did.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        then again, why draw the line at *religion* when there are so many other symbols out there, many of which you might not recognize?
        This ... somewhat happened to me, but instead of jewelry it was tattoos.

It was a navy training brief about hate-symbols in tattoos (be they racism, religious intolerance, or gang-related).

I was really taken by surprise cos ... i'd seen many of these tats on sailors already. The only one i remember specifically was the spider-web tat on the elbow, which apparently was suppose to signify doing time for killing a minority.

I'm pretty sure the sailor I met hadn't killed anyone but... I wonder if he knew about that before he got inked.

back to begin more on topic... the point is, many symbols mean more than we might realize.

Comment

I've seen lists like those. One problem is that just because a symbol *has* been used by somebody, somewhere, to mean something doesn't make that a fair assumption to make when you see someone else with it... nor is it reasonable to abandon a symbol entirely for all purposes just because someone, somewhere, did that. I was shocked to find that (supposedly) the number 88 means Hitler. It was particularly annoying in that that number was in my general-purpose email address at the time among other uses (because that number is a model of Oldsmobile I'm fond of.) But it would be silly to avoid a *number* just because someone found a way to tie it to an evil man. Numbers have all sorts of uses.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

There is not "nazi" way for the swastika, unless it's a black swastika in a white circle on a red background it's not a nazi symbol, the swastika is a geometric design that's been arounf since at least 10,000 bc.
            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

It's also known as the Fyfolt Cross, a rare heraldic charge - it looks as if part of each end has been cut off. It's on the heraldry for the Chamberlyne family, so it is on the pub sign for the Chamberlyne arms. I learnt quickly in heraldry that each tincture, ordinary and charge can mean a whole multitude of things, usually what the armiger wants rather than any standard norm.

[/heraldry nut]

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Whether you like it or not, the government must be secular in nature
                Interestingly enough : not over here. We're technically a theocracy. Our head of state is also the head of the church : and there's a minimum quota of bishops in the House of Lords.

I can't see anthing in the article saying that "Wearing Crosses at Work Banned" : it sounds more like it's the employer's choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  Interestingly enough : not over here. We're technically a theocracy.
                  That's a pretty long bow to draw.

Our head of state is also the head of the church
                  A state of affairs created deliberately to prevent the Church from interfering with the government's important work (specifically, the important efforts to let King Henry dip into Miss Boleyn without all that pesky adultery stuff).

At its essence, local British politics were being influenced by Rome, at the behest of other states.

You could make the case that Henry's libido was the catalyst for the first real effort at separating state and church...

: and there's a minimum quota of bishops in the House of Lords.
                  Not for long, there are reforms afoot for the Lords. They've already been effectively sidelined by NuLab.

Comment

Working...
                  X