Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $350,000 in damages awarded for Yelp review

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...00-in-damages/

In quick summary - a divorced couple posted reviews on Yelp that contained false statements regarding the wife's attorney. Even though the couple tried to drop the appeal of the initial judgement against them, the court still issued a decision against the couple.

The ruling was based on evidence that the review was based on made up facts, which falls under defamation and slander. I can understand the concern that this sets a precedent for people who have legitimate complaints to be silenced, or attempted to be silenced; however, slander and defamation laws have existed long before this case, and that precedent has always existed.

Comment

This isn't the first time someone's been sued over a Yelp review. It won't be the last. And if they are lying about what they Yelp, they deserve to get their asses handed to them in court.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Wait, the divorced couple teamed up after getting a divorce? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          The Enemy of My enemy and all that? The other applicable saying is "The only winner in a divorce is the lawyers".

In any case, sounds like it's a proper ruling. They were proven to be lying in their reviews, and in a reputation-heavy career like law, bad reviews would undoubtedly be damaging.

Comment

yeah- it sounds like a classic slander case to me. more or less, you can't go around lying in reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetfire View Post
              The other applicable saying is "The only winner in a divorce is the lawyers".

This is only true IF you involve lawyers in the process. My Ex and I did it Pro Se using preprinted documents (ie. fill in the blank) but then we did not have that much in assets, no house or property, no pension, no big liquid assets such as checking or savings, and our daughter had reached majority. Filled in the blanks, filed the paperwork, paid the fee, waited the required-by-law period, had our preliminary hearing, 2 weeks later went before the Judge, he asked the standard questions, AND declared Divorced.

NO lawyer involved.
              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Well, they may have wanted a divorce, but not like they wanted to kill each-other or something. Not every divorce is high drama and throwing things, some divorced couples still get on great, they're just not married anymore.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                X