No announcement yet.

Election 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is going to get worse. The left is starting to form it's own version of ideological purity enforces. So we will have two sides that wont cross the aisle to work with each other. Meanwhile the business of the nation gets further muddied.

Comment

Democrats really already have that now. Watch the rhetoric surrounding Elizabeh Warren vs. Hillary Clinton or even Hillary v. Obama. As sure as there's orthodoxy on the right, they have a different version. And it's one that drives away the center because it often has extremely niche views on things like cops, the role of the free market, approved types of speech, the use of force, and military transparency. Now I'm not getting into each of these topics but you'll find they are often at odds with moderate democrats and independents. They're also the issues that keep liberal Republicans from party hopping.

I am legitimately curious how much longer the 2 party thing can last with both sides constantly playing to their party majority but populational minority. How long before a bunch of Silicon Valley guys and moderates attempt to build a functional centrist party?

Comment

probably not particularly long- just until enough people are fed up of the extremes, and the moderates leave both parties in droves. Then there'll probably be two parties again, just composed of true moderates.

It seems t go in cycles, more or less:
        1. parties are formed, more or less at the centre.
        2. parties enjoy power, usually trading off with the opposite centrist party when one side has been in power too long.
        3. parties begun appealing to the extremes
        4. parties get more and more extreme
        5. centrists feel marginalised
        6. centrists split off to form a new party closer tot he center.
        7. party becomes increasingly irrelevant, until it dissolves

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
          Now I'm not getting into each of these topics but you'll find they are often at odds with moderate democrats and independents. They're also the issues that keep liberal Republicans from party hopping.
          If you're going to trot out the tired specter of Both Sides Are Bad(tm) you're going to have to get into these topics and explain.

Comment

No, I really don't. You don't have to listen though or assume I'm wrong. How's that?

More realistically, between work and classes I am spending about 14-16 hours doing actual work. I DO NOT have the time to play research games or Google searching for you.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
              No, I really don't. You don't have to listen though or assume I'm wrong. How's that?

More realistically, between work and classes I am spending about 14-16 hours doing actual work. I DO NOT have the time to play research games or Google searching for you.
              So, to clarify, you make a nebulous and unproven statement. Which happens to be a well know, tired and repeatedly debunked logical fallacy in US politics and one of the primary media tactics of Republicans. Then when pressed about it claim you have no obligation to back it up?

Got it.

Comment

Working...
              X