Fan Fiction As Shows/Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan Fiction As Shows/Movies?

For a few years now I have been meaning to start watching The Magicians it looked interesting as a show and then I saw the first three seasons (fourth to air next year) were on Netflix so I binge watched the show and while I don't love how season 3 ended I like where most of the show went.

Now having realized at some point that this series was based on a trilogy of books I was eager to get my hands on them. So I picked up the first one of the same name and I read it. I finished it yesterday and realized the show is not "based on The Magicians" it's more accurately "Fan fiction of The Magicians'

Full disclosure I love Fan Fiction. I have more Dawson's Creek Fan Fic stories that I re-read than I re-watch the show. I think Fan Fiction can be brilliant and well done.

That being said this brings me to Vampire Diaries. Vampire Diaries is another show marketed as "Based on the bestselling books" When in fact it is again fan fiction of the books drawing on recognizable elements but telling a very different story.

In the entire book there were only four scenes I recognized as having appeared in the TV show. A lot of the things from the TV show had nothing to do with the book all. I haven't read the second and third book so some of what was in the show might be drawn from later books.

That being said should a Show/Movie legally be allowed to say "Based on (source material)" If it is substantially different from the source material to the point that they are two completely different stories.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass
Working...
X