Off Topic Section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic Section?

Sometimes I am not sure where to put something, because it does not seem to fit any of the other categories. I would like to suggest an Off topic section, that covers 'everything else'.

I wouldn't mind having one.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Yeah, I know this is a carry over forum, but it's still a forum and I can't think of a forum being complete without an off topic section (only major flaw of this place).

Comment

We'll think it over.

Fratching is mostly a catch-all for controversial issues that can't be discussed on CS.com and a few other referring forums. Usually a member here is a member at CS.com or the like and can take their non-controversial and/or personal discussions there.

But as Fratching gets bigger and busier, it may be something to consider.

Comment

My main thing is that I prefer the smaller community here at Fratching. CS has blown up into a huge community and I feel like I don't even know half the people there like I used to whereas I know the majority of people here.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

<planting idea in their heads> Dooooo it
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I like the idea simply because I often run into the problem where I know that something I'm posting will have the potential to turn into something hot or cause mixed feelings, or sometimes I just want to be safe, but it isn't necessarily hot-button or controversial. Most of the time it's a vent (granted, CS is the actual vent site, but we aren't allowed to talk about anything that would cause a frenzy, so herein lies the problem) and I'm often told by a few posters that this is a debate site, not a vent site, so I think an off topic or vent section would be great!

Comment

*nods* Sometimes I have things I wish to fratch about that really doesn't fit in the other sections (or at least to me).

Comment

I'm not a member of CS and as I don't work in any of the industries involved I would feel out of sorts registering, hence why my work rant's are here and not there. So, although this might be an over flow from CS and others, but I've been tempted to say "take it to fratching" on my old haunt, which nuked alot of its faff forums years ago.

Comment

So how bout that off-topic section.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder.
                      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I have some concerns about an Off Topic section here at Fratching, and I thought I'd share them here and get some feedback from everyone.

As it stands now, every thread here is fair game for debate. Even if someone decides to post about their personal issues (in say, "Things I Hate"), there is an understanding that people may disagree with something they've said or how they've handled the issue.

Fratching is, after all, a debate forum.

If we add an Off Topic section, the question becomes, "Do the same rules apply here as in the rest of the forum?" If someone posts something in the Off Topic section, can they expect to receive only support and friendly suggestions, or are people allowed to debate with them?

Having separate rules for different sub-forums can become messy. And I don't want to see people posting about potentially controversial issues in the Off Topic section knowing that no one can argue with them.

On the other hand - allowing debate about a member's personal life can also get messy. We've seen that happen already.

Thoughts?

Comment

I say if they post something in an Off Topic section let others debate with them, that's the point of the board as a whole yes?
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I would think every forum is open to debate.

I am wondering if, instead of "Off Topic" we give it a different name to indicate that it's a bit of a "catch-all" forum for topics that don't fit anywhere else.

After all, I really think that was the intent when the idea was suggested.
                            Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                            Sometimes I am not sure where to put something, because it does not seem to fit any of the other categories. I would like to suggest an Off topic section, that covers 'everything else'.
                            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Yes. In my opinion there would be no need for special rules, if something is posted in such a thread it would still be up for debate. As for what to call it *shrugs* 'Off topic', 'Everything else', 'Rants', or whatever .

Comment

Working...
                              X