Mormons label same-sex couples as apostate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    regardless, I suspect that it will depend on the individual parish, or even whatever the Mormon equivalent of a priest/bishop is- the same applies to the restriction on the children of gay couples getting baptised, actually.
    Explained like a store,
    Store manager = bishop
    Area manager = stake president (store districts = stakes)
    It goes up from there but probably most specifically it would depend on your region and the bishop and stake president. However, this specifically I believe is classified as not one of the things there is wiggle room on since once the child turns 18, you need first presidency (think along the lines of the company's board) approval still to baptize. This is not one of the things that would be considered a small thing to overlook unless maybe the gay parent was estranged or something like that and even with that I think there would be some issues due to the minor needing both parent's permission.

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    As for how it would work, the ruling is specific about it being baptism. I would imagine that a kid who is already a mormon would remain one. (it's the parents that are apostate, not the kids)
    But the thing with that is, why is it different? If it would be fine for someone who was already a member, how would it not be ok for someone who is seeking this out? If anything, the child who is seeking out the church will be more likely to stick around despite their family whereas the child who went through a trauma and is now being cared for by people who have much different beliefs probably has a higher chance of leaving the church.

Comment

Working...
    X