• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Do not deport me" cards

What.

At work, so I can't watch the video.
    Help a friend!

So?

(That one word is sufficient reply in this case.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Probably inappropriate, but is anyone else reminded of Johnny Dangerously?
      "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Parrothead View Post
        What.

At work, so I can't watch the video.
        I'm not sure of your stance on this. Are you pro or con?
        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

There are 2 things that I'm thinking about this that aren't exactly made clear from what I've read. The first thing is why is the second language just spanish and not any other common second language, and the second thing is are any of these people actually intending to become legal? One of the things on the card says "I am the parent of a legal citizen" so are they going to do the right thing or use their kids as an excuse to not get kicked out of America and get sent back to wherever, yeah I know this country is one great big collection of all different people with their backgrounds and cultures but for fuck sake if you're coming here to live not just for temporary work but pack up all your shit come here and stay for the rest of your life then do the right thing and become a citizen legally.
          "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

a) these cards are NOT legally binding- that is, they do not provide protection in and of themselves from being deported.
            b) these cards could actually be useful- in that it allows a immigration official to cut straight to checking up on if the person really is eligible for release under the new policies.

to answer the question about if the people intend to become legal: I would hope so, but I think the idea is to focus resources on those illegal immigrants that are an actual problem-rather than ones that more-or-less have never bothered to fill out the paperwork. ( the reason why people with US citizen kids aren't a priority is that it's unfair on the kid to force them to either grow up abroad or be split from their parents. If the illegal immigrant is otherwise fine? then why not juts let the parent stay?)

Comment

I get what you're saying but like I said what about the ones that use their kid(s) as an excuse, "oh I have a kid you have to let me stay" how many other countries have that loophole? I don't know how many women and couples have gotten pregnant just to come here to use that excuse knowing that it'll work, it would be impossible to count. I know they want to come here to start a new life but they should do it the right way and not bring an innocent child into it, I know the system isn't perfect and people are working to fix it but I think (and this is just my opinion) that they should get rid of the loopholes first. If there are no loopholes for people to abuse then people will hopefully start going about things the right way.
              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
                if you're coming here to live not just for temporary work but pack up all your shit come here and stay for the rest of your life then do the right thing and become a citizen legally.
                This is one of the issues I have, and it's one of the issues I have with the DREAM act. There was that one girl who was a "special guest" (or was supposed to be) of the President at one of the State of the Union address...

She was supposed to be "representative" of one of the many that the DREAM act is supposed to help.

However, getting quotes from the young woman, she never once mentioned becoming a citizen. The ONLY talk was about how she wanted to go to college, etc.

And in-state tuition? Sorry, no.

I say you want to go to college if you're here illegally, wait until you graduate high school, then go get your Citizenship, and THEN you can go to college.

It's also one of the issues I have with amnesty and the way some of our laws work. There are numerous individuals who are in the U.S. illegally who have no intention of EVER becoming citizens. To me, that's an issue.

If that gives m the appearance of being a bigoted, hypoctical, racist hate monger, then so be it. I know what's in my heart.

Comment

These cards sound like the "Do Not Tow" signs on cars that Argabarga tows.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
                    This is one of the issues I have, and it's one of the issues I have with the DREAM act. There was that one girl who was a "special guest" (or was supposed to be) of the President at one of the State of the Union address...

She was supposed to be "representative" of one of the many that the DREAM act is supposed to help.

However, getting quotes from the young woman, she never once mentioned becoming a citizen. The ONLY talk was about how she wanted to go to college, etc.

And in-state tuition? Sorry, no.

I say you want to go to college if you're here illegally, wait until you graduate high school, then go get your Citizenship, and THEN you can go to college.

It's also one of the issues I have with amnesty and the way some of our laws work. There are numerous individuals who are in the U.S. illegally who have no intention of EVER becoming citizens. To me, that's an issue.

If that gives m the appearance of being a bigoted, hypoctical, racist hate monger, then so be it. I know what's in my heart.
                    a) I'll point out that a news outlet could easily cut and change a quote to remove any reference to wanting to become a citizen.
                    b) in state-tuition is supposed to be for residents of a state, IIRC. Therefore, if someone's been in a state long enough, why can't they get in-state tuition rates?
                    c) AFAIK, nothing in the DREAM act overturns admission requirements, unless said requirement is to be a citizen. In other words, you still have to pass high school, or hold an equivalent qualification.

I actually agree that illegal immigrants should be required to make the effort to become legal immigrants if they want help, though. (and I WOULD provide a method for illegal immigrants to at least get a Green Card- though I would introduce an extra wait time to become an actual citizen. ( say, 10 years instead of 5)- the issue at the moment is you need to leave the US, then wait 10 years, then can APPLY to get an immigrant visa. Which usually, means relying on the lottery ( literally, there is a lottery for 100,000 green cards a year. demand is many times that) to get in.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                      These cards sound like the "Do Not Tow" signs on cars that Argabarga tows.
                      About as effective too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
                        I know they want to come here to start a new life but they should do it the right way and not bring an innocent child into it, I know the system isn't perfect and people are working to fix it but I think (and this is just my opinion) that they should get rid of the loopholes first.
                        The loophole of any child born on US soil is by default a US citizen is part of the constitution, the 14th amendment specifically. And congrats, for believing and disseminating a myth. Part of getting a visa to immigrate to the US is sponsorship by a US citizen over the age of 21, not an infant*. And according to the pew hispanic center 80% of American babies born to illegal immigrants the parents have been in the US over a year BEFORE having a child. Here's a fact check on it.

*Immigration can and does deport the entire family and the child, the child being a US citizen can return when they're 18-21 if they choose.
                        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                        X