Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hill County in dispute with man who wrote 'sexual favors' on property tax check memo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill County in dispute with man who wrote 'sexual favors' on property tax check memo

Kinda funny...

TL;DR:

Guy writes "sexual favors" in memo line of his property tax check. Check doesn't get cashed, even though he's written other things (like "bulls**t") in memo lines before and the check was cashed...

Story:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...68182b4a3.html

It depends. The dispute seems to be that they haven't cashed the check. Provided they aren't assessing penalties and interest for non-payment (or demanding he send them another cheque without them providing proof the old one has been destroyed), then I don't actually see how it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      It depends. The dispute seems to be that they haven't cashed the check. Provided they aren't assessing penalties and interest for non-payment (or demanding he send them another cheque without them providing proof the old one has been destroyed), then I don't actually see how it matters.
      The article really doesn't go into it, but I think if you don't pay property taxes, then you risk a lien or a seizure of property.

I think his "dispute" (if you will) is that they've cashed other checks when he's written inappropriate (for lack of a better word) things in the memo line. It seems that because this one says "sexual favors", that they're not cashing it.

I'm wondering if they keep records (i.e. photocopies) of the checks, or if there's a legal reason, or whatever, since IIRC the county clerk is female. And a check for several hundred dollars that says "sexual favors" in the memo line might raise some eyebrows.

Comment

I don't see why whether other checks with inappropriate memos got cashed or not is supposed to matter. That might only mean they went unnoticed.

But yes, saying a check is for sexual favors is very different than just writing an expletive on it.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

what I was saying is that it only really matters if they consider the bill unpaid when the reason it's unpaid is they never cashed the check.

Comment

I can see why the county might see it as prostitution if it ever gets brought up. Like the county is letting him prostitute and he pays taxes. Who knows.

Comment

Working...
            X