Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And some said this was ridiculous...knife control in London...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And some said this was ridiculous...knife control in London...

London's Mayor Declares Intense New 'Knife Control' Policies To Stop Epidemic Of Stabbings

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29179...-emily-zanotti

This is a direct Twitter quote from the mayor of London:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."
    Does that phraseology sound familiar to any of you?

And a quote from the article:

London has seen a dramatic uptick in murder rates, surpassing even New York City in number of homicides every month since the beginning of 2018. It has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, and, technically, knives carried "without good reason" are off limits to anyone under the age of 18.
    Emphasis mine.

So when do we implement background checks to buy knives? When are we going to limit how many knives someone can have?

So what are you suggesting? That they ignore the problem?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

It might be more promising to reverse some of the police's budget cuts:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...report-reveals
      "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
      "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Lets see article is vague, but what I can tell.

-There is an uptick in stabbings and acid attacks.

-That these attacks are gang and minor related.

-That they are going to increase police funding for police and target the worst affected area's.

-Parlemnt is going to "take up introduce a ban on online knife sales and home knife deliveries, declare it "illegal to possess zombie knives and knuckledusters in private"

Ok so all good

Oh and there is this gem

"London has seen a dramatic uptick in murder rates, surpassing even New York City in the number of homicides every month since the beginning of 2018. It has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, and, technically, knives carried "without good reason" are off limits to anyone under the age of 18."

Looking in to a little more this includes gun murders too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-...ife-gun-crime/

LONDON -- A surge of stabbings in London was blamed Monday for the city overtaking New York's monthly murder tally for the first time in modern history. Fifteen people were murdered in London during February, compared to 14 in New York, according to police figures.

The British capital also suffered 22 fatal stabbings and shootings in March, higher than the 21 in New York. There have been 10 fatal stabbings in London in the last 19 days, following on from the 80 fatal stabbings recorded in the city last year.
        But also remember that New York has had back to back snowstorms and other rough weather for the last two months. And that historically lowers the amount of violent crime in a city. So this may be more of a statistical curiosity then anything more telling of US and UK weapon laws and culture.

As for MJR's consern about this

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife. Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."
        How the UK law is written, its very hard to come up with legal reason to justify simply carrying a knife at all times. The exception exists for reasons like work (a foam knife) or transportation. It see it more as a message to people who feel like that the 'good reason' exception is more like a loophole they can use. So I am leaning towards that as what he means. The carry for self protection idea is not well embraced in the UK as a whole.

Comment

Is all law enforcement there all one big force or is it like here in the US where we have Federal, state, county and city/town LEOs. All different agencies.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Here I carry a pocket knife at all times with my current one having a 3 inch (approx 7cm) blade that is open assisted. Would that be legal for a regular person to tote?
            Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
              Is all law enforcement there all one big force or is it like here in the US where we have Federal, state, county and city/town LEOs. All different agencies.
              The UK has a more uniform police structure. Nationwide acts cover how local police jurisdictions work. Nothing like a county or state police etc... They have about 45-50 police jurisdictions. I will post a youtube video I found interesting about the subject later.

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
              Here I carry a pocket knife at all times with my current one having a 3 inch (approx 7cm) blade that is open assisted. Would that be legal for a regular person to tote?
              I think anything that folds, not spring assist, less then three inches, and does not violate the Geneva convention. (Dead serious abut that last part, tri edge blades and similar). So a small folding knife, or a knife built into a multi-tool. Exceptions are for anything that has a dedicated work function and only while performing the work function. You can carry while working, but not while walking to work. Need to have it in a storage container of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
                How the UK law is written, its very hard to come up with legal reason to justify simply carrying a knife at all times. The exception exists for reasons like work (a foam knife) or transportation. It see it more as a message to people who feel like that the 'good reason' exception is more like a loophole they can use. So I am leaning towards that as what he means. The carry for self protection idea is not well embraced in the UK as a whole.
                My broader point, though, is if you take the London mayor's statement:

And change it to this:

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a gun."
                You get the general attitude of a lot of people in the U.S.

Comment

And lookie here...

http://www.wnd.com/2018/04/knife-con...sses-atlantic/

Now is it ridiculous?

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03...fight-knife-l/

http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-...203607769.html

As I've tried to say: It's a culture problem.

Comment

I don't see what the issue is. What jungle are you cutting your way through in America?
                    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The only people who have ever held up "knife control" as a ridiculous thing to me are the same people that think gun control is a ridiculous thing.

Do I think making it harder for people who want to kill and murder to kill and murder is a good thing? Yes. Yes I do.

Nor have I ever said "Knife control would be ridiculous it would be a step too far"

A governments job is to protect and serve it's citizenry. If it needs to step in to stop a common type of crime that threatens the lives of ordinary citizens then they should do so.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Working...
                      X