Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We learned it from you okay we learned it from you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We learned it from you okay we learned it from you!

Something I have noticed is that people from Britain will mock Americans for using something like calling what the rest of the world calls Football, Soccer.

Or for using Imperial measurements instead of the Metric System. Add ton of other things.

What drives me nuts about this is the fact that it's kind of like a parent teaching their kid "everyone wears two different colored socks" and then mocking them for it when they do it.

Both the Imperial measurement system and the term soccer were created by the British and given to the states from there. Plenty of other things we got from them as well.

Should they really be mocking us for using things they created like we're the morons?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I don't get the issue with the football one. Besides we weren't the ones who made that up, the length of an American football is almost 1 foot. Thus football.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

During WWII my dad made a friend with an Engishter and nearly 30 years ago he came to visit my parents and brought his family including grand-kids.
      We're very southern and proud of it, to many in our family you're either southern or you're a yankee. (To call a true southerner a yankee is a vile and dirty insult to ones honor.) Well the Englishters grand kids were playing with my two oldest daughters. They kept calling my kids Yanks as Englishters are wont to do. (I bet you're already seeing were this is going.) D2 told them to stop calling her a yankee, they didn't, she repeated her demands, again they didn't and an 8yo boy got beat by a 4yo and 3yo girls. My girls rose to fight their English oppressors just like their great-(x5) grandfather did to whoop some English hindend. (No offense to our English friends.)
      Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        I don't get the issue with the football one. Besides we weren't the ones who made that up, the length of an American football is almost 1 foot. Thus football.
        I have a friend from England who calls it "Hand Egg" as a joke.

Comment

Shouldn’t it be called “11inchball”, then?
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

I've never heard of that etymology. I always figured it was called football either because there is indeed some kicking involved or there was just some early long-forgotten rules that involved more kicking than today.

Comment

Working...
            X