No announcement yet.

"Under God"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, because we all know that every Christian out there is always on the lookout for someone not like them to torment.

'Cause, you know, it's way too far-fetched to actually believe that the person could just be saying the words because those are the words they grew up saying or anything like that.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Yeah, because we all know that every Christian out there is always on the lookout for someone not like them to torment.

'Cause, you know, it's way too far-fetched to actually believe that the person could just be saying the words because those are the words they grew up saying or anything like that.

^-.-^
      If someone doesn't want me to wish them Merry Christmas, then I'll say Happy Holidays instead. But there's a difference between "Please don't say that around me" and "Don't say that to anyone." If someone didn't want me to say the word piano around them I'd find a synonym for it.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

One of my ex co workers posted something on Facebook about being anti- saying Happy Holidays and how she was offended that no one says Merry Christmas anymore. I almost wrote on it saying that Christmas isn't the only holiday in December. Hell, Christians aren't the only one's to celebrate holidays.

I wonder what she would say about "Under God" on the Pledge.

Comment

Getting all upset over someone wishing you happy holidays/merry christmas/solstice/anything is ridiculous.

I can understand it as a personal thing. "I'd rather people didn't say that. Please don't say it to me" is one thing. But "The world hates people like me because of all of this wishing Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!" is ridiculous.

It's one thing to ask people not to do something around you. It's another to ask them to change the way they act around everyone.

It's like this post I saw that said it's rude to assume someone's gender, and to always ask which pronoun they prefer. It's one thing to say that that's appropriate in your social group, or to say to ask you before using a gender pronoun.

It's another to expect someone to do that in all situations for all people. Especially when, more often than not, people take offense to being asked what their gender is.

Comment

Just my two cents regarding both the pledge and how to wish someone a holiday greeting.

I stopped saying the pledge when I was in middle school. I chose not to and I had that right. I stood just like everyone else, but didn't place my hand over my heart and I didn't recite the pledge. No one said anything to me about it.

When someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I give them a huge smile and tell them Happy Holidays. I'm not protesting the use of Merry Christmas, I'm just issuing a universal "I hope your December is going well". I haven't heard of anyone throwing a fit to my face, but I do have those Facebook friends that get all up in arms that someone doesn't say Merry Christmas.

I like it when someone tells me Happy/Merry Whatever. They don't know what holidays I do or do not celebrate. Now, if they insist that I tell them Merry Christmas or get all huffy when I wish them a Happy Holidays, THEN there lies the problem.

Comment

I seem to recall one teacher back in grade school who, in an attempt to be non-denominational and inoffensive, would say, "Happy happy," and, "Merry merry." Most of the kids thought she was a twit.

Comment

That reminds me of my highschool teacher who said "Puppies!" when she wanted to swear.

Comment

Working...
                X