Same sex marriage vote in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal Parliament has passed Same Sex Marriage laws

So exciting today. I really though it would be months and months before Federal Parliament actually starting the ball rolling on the same sex marriage bills. But today they voted and the laws redefining marriage have passed.

I've been doing the happy happy dance with a few different friends today in person and over the phone. There is at least 3 weddings that will be happening in the next 12 months now.

So all the 'no' people who said that the world would end if gay people are allowed to marry can kiss my butt. The sun is still going to come up tomorrow, seagulls are still going to steal your fish & chips at the beach, water is still going to be wet and the wedding industry will get one hell of a boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ginger View Post
      What we have at the moment is religious people claiming that allowing gay marriage will mean that gay people can force a priest to marry them. This is bullshit.
      But can they force someone to make them a cake?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ginger View Post
        So all the 'no' people who said that the world would end if gay people are allowed to marry can kiss my butt. The sun is still going to come up tomorrow, seagulls are still going to steal your fish & chips at the beach, water is still going to be wet and the wedding industry will get one hell of a boost.

“WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
        "Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
        NO
        "Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
        THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
        "Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
        A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.”
        ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Comment

I think part of the problem is that it is comparatively petty- while the officiant could be seen as endorsing the marriage, the person baking the wedding cake isn't. As such, the religious grounds seem far more specious.

Comment

There is always an appropriate Terry Pratchett quote, not matter what the situation is.

I have heard of places refusing to make rainbow cakes already. They then have to backflip when they find out the cake is for a kid's birthday. Because what kid doesn't want a rainbow unicorn cake with smarties inside?

I know of one bakery that won't do them, but they are a very traditional bakery and simply admitted that they didn't have the skills. Their trademark is cakes made like your grandma used to make. BUT they do have a partnership with a nearby bakery that they recommend. That place doesn't make cakes, they make delicious works of art.

Comment

Working...
            X