Site Migration Plan / Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Migration Plan / Status

We finally have the pieces in place, and were going to hold off until the end of month. However, after yesterday's extended outage, we're forced to move things forward a bit.

We have four separate forums being hosted on the server. Each one will be moved during the week, one per night. I'll be posting the announcements to each of the forums today.

The schedule is as follows:
    • Tues, Jan 18: Testing forum
    • Wed, Jan 19: Devils Panties Forum
    • Thur, Jan 20: Fratching Forum
    • Fri, Jan 21: CS Forum

The moves will be happening overnight, and as late as possible. I am working a new job, and my sleep schedules are affected, so it won't be able to be any later than midnight, Eastern time, when the move occurs.

Expected downtime is about 30 minutes. During this time, the current server and the new server will display a "maintenance mode" message. You are also invited to join us on cschatter.com to get status updates as they are ready to be announced.

Once the migration is complete, DNS changes will be made, the forums reopened, and life can return to normal.

Note that cschatter.com is restricted to using CS logins. If you are using one of the other forums, and wish to join us on cschatter, please create a CS login immediately, and post a reply to this linked thread to have your account set up for chat. This step is important, as new users are on moderation, and moderated users (by default) are not allowed in CS Chat at all.

I apologize for the short notice. I really did want to wait, but the current server is getting worse by the day. We have to make these changes as rapidly as possible.

If you have any questions about this, please either post here or contact Pedersen. The mods might have the answers, but they might have to ask me. Better to go right to the source, I think.
    Last edited by Pedersen; 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM.

The first forum has been moved successfully. Slight glitch with the database configuration, but that is done and gone, and won't come back for the others. The next ones will be even smoother.

Tomorrow night, the Devil's Panties forum will be moved. If you want to keep tabs on things while it's moving, please read these directions if you're not on CS.

Once you're on CS, you can visit us at CS Chatter, and follow the links for jwchat, to be kept in the loop while the move occurs.

Comment

So, the Devil's Panties forums got moved tonight. vBulletin, though, has kind of irked me.

Tech Talk: With version 4, they enabled protection against cross-site scripting attacks. This is a good thing. However, by enabling this protection, they've also disabled an easy migration to a new server. The only way for people to access the server is to have their DNS servers update.

I've done the best that I can to mitigate the effects, but the forums will (effectively) be read only until DNS changes go all around the net. If everybody else is configured properly, this should be cleared up within the hour.

To any DP posters, I apologize for the inconvenience. I just don't have any way to fix this.

Comment

Fratching is now on the new server. You'll all be amused to know that it took me an extra five minutes because I forgot to restore the database on the new server. Copied the files over, but forgot to actually load them.

Anyway, it's done, happy, and things are looking good.

Comment

Thank you, Pedersen.

Comment

And now CS is running on the new server.

There are still some back end details to cleanup, but outages should disappear now.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

Working...
            X