No announcement yet.

"Well the democrats..." "Well the republicans..." "Stop just stop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am starting at a restaurant and will be working there over the holidays my reaction to anyone yelling at me for saying Happy Holidays is going to be to apologize and say I didn't realize that they don't celebrate the New Year.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Though one could argue that "happy holidays" is only said in the winter...when in fact there are "holidays" year round.

Here's a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public..._United_States

Unless we're defining holiday differently.

And honestly, people who say "happy holidays" (and the ones who complain you "shouldn't say Merry Christmas") are more than happy to open Christmas presents on Christmas morning -- aren't they?

And how many people do you know who practice Judaism who give people presents on Chanukkah, except for maybe the kids? Do Muslims give each other presents on their "winter holiday" (whatever it may be?). Do Pagans? Or Buddhists?

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
        Though one could argue that "happy holidays" is only said in the winter...when in fact there are "holidays" year round.
        It's all about context. People have considered the end of the year to be the "Holiday Season" for generations. And I've considered it to include Thanksgiving, not just Christmas, New Years, et al.

Also, contrary to popular belief, for many Christian denominations, while advent and Christmas are important holidays, lent and Easter are often considered the most important observance, especially Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter, since it consists of the very event that pretty much defines Christianity. Christmas is simply celebrated more joyously, while from Ash Wednesday to Easter, the lenten season is more solemn. Easter is more a feast to break from the fast of lent.

And how many people do you know who practice Judaism who give people presents on Chanukkah, except for maybe the kids? Do Muslims give each other presents on their "winter holiday" (whatever it may be?). Do Pagans? Or Buddhists?
        What difference does it make? People celebrate the end of the year in different ways, and Christmas has become a more secular holiday among those who don't actively practice Christianity. If certain people want to call it "holiday" for themselves, let them. I'm really sick of how people have started a war of words on either side, where you can't say anything without offending someone, becoming an "us vs. them" shitfest.

Comment

Do you know why Happy Holidays is only said in the Winter? Because the only two Major Holidays that are within a week of each other celebrated through all of European descendant countries are Christmas and New Year's.

Christmas is on the 25th and New Year's Day is on the 1st. If any other Major Holidays were within a week of each other we would say "Happy Holidays" for them too.

Thanksgiving is an American Holiday and I personally don't consider it to be part of Happy Holidays. The saying is just about the fact that two different holidays are within a week of each other making it the only time of the year when you have two holidays to wish someone good feelings for.
          Last edited by jackfaire; 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
            It's all about context. People have considered the end of the year to be the "Holiday Season" for generations. And I've considered it to include Thanksgiving, not just Christmas, New Years, et al.
            Oh, sure. I get that. But again: people don't generally buy each other gifts for Thanksgiving or New Years. And to my knowledge (limited as it is) of other religions and practices, most who practice them don't buy each other gifts, either on that particular holiday. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

Also, contrary to popular belief, for many Christian denominations, while advent and Christmas are important holidays, lent and Easter are often considered the most important observance, especially Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter, since it consists of the very event that pretty much defines Christianity. Christmas is simply celebrated more joyously, while from Ash Wednesday to Easter, the lenten season is more solemn. Easter is more a feast to break from the fast of lent
            Oh, sure. I would absolutely agree that Easter (not being Catholic myself) is seen as more important. Especially considering there are Christian denominations that don't celebrate Christmas at all. But you're also right in that Christmas has become just another Consumer day, and the "meaning" (as it were) is lost on people.

If certain people want to call it "holiday" for themselves, let them.
            I would say the same for Christmas.

I'm really sick of how people have started a war of words on either side, where you can't say anything without offending someone, becoming an "us vs. them" shitfest.
            Sure. I understand this. I'm kinda the same way.

Comment

Is that anything at all like "But George Bush ___________"?
              I had someone seriously give me a "But Kennedy" argument on a forum last week.

In defense of Trump no less.

Comment

Working...
              X