Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a sin to use birth control methods for something other than birth control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a sin to use birth control methods for something other than birth control?

Yesterday, my mother took me to see a gynecologist for my "monthly ow" and the possibility of fibroids causing the pain. However, many of the pain-reduction methods that she described to me are also used for birth control.

Although both my mother and I are Catholic, my mom's a nurse, so we agreed to use birth control pills to lessen my pain and heavy bleeding.

Now, my question is the title of this thread: do you think that it is a sin to use birth control methods for medical reasons? I'm a virgin, and in my case, it's unlikely that I will ever get into a relationship where sex is involved.

What do you think?

EDIT: I googled my question, but rephrased it to include pain reduction. Here is one of the answers that I got.
    Last edited by cindybubbles; 05-26-2015, 11:24 PM.

As for a doctrinal edict saying yes or no, I don't know, but I do know for certain that several Catholic institutions, and even one major Archdiocese that I know of have procedures for approving "birth control pills" for non-birth control medical reasons through their insurance plans. I also know of one order of nuns that doesn't have a problem with that, as I personally know at least two nuns from that order that take them for those reasons.

That's all circumstantial evidence, but I'd think if nuns are taking them and the insurance plans for major Catholic institutions/Archdiocese have a way to get an override for medical reasons, then it's okay.

Comment

Thanks. I ask because some people might think that it is a sin no matter what the circumstances.

Comment

Here's what really matters in this situation: How do YOU feel about taking these pills? Are you going to advertise to other people that you take them? How badly do you want to lessen the pain you deal with?

If nobody outside of you, your mother, your doctor, and your pharmacist knows you're taking these pills then it is really nobody else's business, and therefore they cannot judge you. If it bothers you what other people might think, then don't tell them anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
          I ask because some people might think that it is a sin no matter what the circumstances.
          Believe me when I say no matter what anyone does, there's going to be some group of people who are going to think whatever you do is a sin. Coming from a family of devout Christians (a mix of Catholics and Protestants) and marrying into a devout Catholic family, I've found that I've vexed probably every member of my family in one way or another.

I've upset my uncle and aunt for drinking. I've upset my mother for living with my wife before marriage. I've upset my other uncle and aunt for believing in evolution... the best you can do is smile and nod as they preach to you and then move on. It's really not worth the energy to debate it with them.

As a Catholic, though, I'll say that the principle of double effect is an important concept, since you're always going encounter some kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Of course, whenever you encounter them, the principle doesn't silence the opponents of whatever choice you make.

Comment

Originally posted by cindybubbles View Post
            Thanks. I ask because some people might think that it is a sin no matter what the circumstances.
            If your faith is important to you, which it appears to be, then "other people" shouldn't matter at all. The only thing that should matter is what the Church says. Given that, I'll see what I can do to dig up some resources to see what they have to say on the matter. I think given my knowledge of what some Catholic entities do, that I'm going to find that it's the intent that matters, and not the actual chemical, but I'd like to see that in print from an official source before I declare "this is what the Catholic Church has to say on the matter."

That said, after I posted last, I recalled a conversation I had with the Archbishop of my old home town. Now this guy was pretty awesome. In a town that loves his motorcycle rides, he was frequently at the head of the line of bikes during rides for various causes. This should give you an idea of the kind of guy he was. Stuffy he was not.

So I had the opportunity at the end of one of those rides to chat with him. The subject of birth control pills to treat medical issues came up. Summarizing what he had to say:

Many chemicals cause temporary or permanent infertility. If we judge a chemical solely by that affect, then there's a number of life saving drugs the Church would have to forbid. Foremost among these drugs are chemotherapy and radiation treatments for cancer, and you'd be hard pressed to find a Catholic that would argue against the use of those drugs to save the lives of cancer patients. Along those lines, the chemicals that are used by some to prevent pregnancy can also be used to treat conditions that make life miserable for women affected by them. We must not look at the side effects of those drugs when determining if they are suitable for use to treat those conditions. What we must look at then, when determining if taking these drugs is a sin or not, is the intent of the woman taking them. If she is taking them for birth control only, then the Catholic Church cannot condone it, but if she is taking them to treat a medical condition, and temporary infertility is an unfortunate side effect, then I cannot call that a sin.

Now, I think I shall try to dig up something from an official source.

Comment

from what little I ( admittedly) know, it's having sex while on birth control that is the sin, not taking birth control itself. ( it's similar to how it isn't a sin to carry around a gun. It IS a sin to murder someone with it.) The idea is that sex is supposed to be for reproduction. Since you have yourself said you are unlikely to have sex anyway, I'm 99% sure the Church doesn't actually care.

(as for people who oppose BC no matter what, they might not realize BC can alos help with various medical conditions.

Comment

Considering the Catholic church is okay with abortions for medical reasons, I don't see why they wouldn't be okay with you taking medicine for medical reasons.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the input.

I plan to use them, since my pain is so bad that I've called it my "monthly ow" for a few years now.

Comment

Just to ease your mind a little bit more, I found this topic discussed on the website of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The page is:

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea...ex.cfm#medical

The relevant part of the page (emphasis mine):

Catholic teaching does not oppose the use of hormonal medications – such as those found in chemical contraceptives – for legitimate medical purposes, provided there is no contraceptive intent.

But artificial hormones typically treat only the medical symptoms. They do not correct the underlying disease or condition. They also carry the same physical health risks as hormonal contraceptives.

Thankfully, with growing advancements in understanding fertility, knowledgeable gynecologists can often prescribe non-contraceptive drugs and recommend safer and healthier treatments to correct underlying problems or eliminate discomfort.

Comment

Even if you're having sex while on birth control, I think the bigger sin would be having kids that you're not willing and able to care for.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                        Even if you're having sex while on birth control, I think the bigger sin would be having kids that you're not willing and able to care for.
                        Yeah, I know. But that doesn't stop certain people from having them, unfortunately; however, that's probably a subject for another thread.

Comment

While I have always identified as pro-life, and I hope this doesn't make me sound like a traitor, but I am all for things like birth control/contraceptives/condoms and teaching about their use and effectiveness (with the clear understanding that if done consistently and correctly can lower (to varying degrees) the pregnancy/STD risk but are not foolproof either and that an adult decision like sex comes with adult consequences) in sex ed class. And as far as the morning after deals...I suppose that's better than later aborting a baby that's got a beating heart and possibly can feel pain/consciousness...you know what I mean?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes I'm pro-life but a realist at the same time and that if the right-to-life movement is ultimately going to succeed, it's gotta go one step at a time, just like any sort of social/political/etc movement in history.

Comment

Originally posted by mathnerd View Post
                            Just to ease your mind a little bit more, I found this topic discussed on the website of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The page is:

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-tea...ex.cfm#medical

The relevant part of the page (emphasis mine):
                            Trouble is, the people who make these rules are old (mostly white) men...what do they know about things like parenting and especially marriage? I know Catholics are expected to get their marriage counseling from their local priest but what could he possibly know from personal experience what marriage/parenting is like? It's no different than how Barney Fife used to love giving Andy his two cents on parenting when he is not a parent himself (and yes it was a recurring theme).

As far as the Church's view on contraception and such goes, don't they realize that's far better than a baby getting aborted? And as far as Christian denominations encouraging hatred of LGBT's (they'll never admit it but that is what happens in practice) don't they realize it's better for say, LGBT's to give children good homes/parents than say, those same children otherwise maybe being lifelong orphans, or worse, end up aborted? Yes I know some will say I'm gonna burn for this but hey, give me "Heather has Two Mommies" over "Heather stays stuck in orphange" or "Heather ends up in abusive home" or "Heather gets aborted" any day!

Comment

From a white Christian male protestant perspective, I've heard that some of the "it's a sin to use birth control" thought process comes from a couple of different places:

1. There's a line of thought in some denominations (I don't know how prevalent this is in Catholicism) that using birth control subverts the will of God. In other words, if you're using something artificial to keep from getting pregnant, that may not be the will of God, and therefore it's a sin.

I think regarding this one, even if you're a believer in whatever denomination, it's a matter of reading scripture and deciding for yourself.

2. There's likely a line of thought that says it's also disobedient to God. This ties into #1 in a way, but it leads to another line of thinking I've heard of.

Not to graphic, but some people/denominations believe it's "sinful" to "waste" semen. Therefore, male masturbation is forbidden. Also, in this line of thinking, the only acceptable place for a man to purposefully ejaculate is inside a woman's vagina -- and nowhere else. Just like (or so I've heard) in some denominations the only acceptable sexual position is missionary.

The "sinful to waste" thing I do believe comes from the Old Testament, the account Onan (see Genesis 38:9). The issue there, though, is not that Onan "pulled out" and "spilled his seed on the ground". It's that he disobeyed God.

Again, I think this is a matter of reading scripture, consulting with clergy, and deciding for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X