Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I've got lots of friends. We'll have a rotating first lady."

GOP presidential candidate and lifelong bachelor Lindsey Graham

The odd of this happening... Survey says!

*BZZZZZT*

Comment

• "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them, they cry."

Nobel Prize-winning biologist Sir Tim Hunt, speaking at a luncheon for science journalists hosted by Korean women scientists

Could you possibly make scientists look any worse?

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post

Could you possibly make scientists look any worse?
        I guess he could have gone on to explain why Koreans don't do well in labs either.

Comment

• I'm not sure whether the joke itself (and it's a particularly tone-deaf joke to begin with) is or isn't made even worse by the fact that he calls them "girls."

If I had been present, I think I'd have heckled and let him know that maybe if he started working with women, he'd have less trouble... >_>
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
            "I've got lots of friends. We'll have a rotating first lady."

GOP presidential candidate and lifelong bachelor Lindsey Graham
            I can only assume that this means he's marrying a D&D character with "Improved Dodge," a feat which, as far as I can tell, turns you into a constantly rotating 5x5x5 cube.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• I'm picturing Donna Reed posing on a motorized Christmas tree stand.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "Eric Holder says that there still is pernicious racism in America. If racism is so pernicious, why would a white person pretend to be black?"

talk radio host Larry Elder on Rachel Dolezal

Fits the discussion in the other thread, I guess...
                "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

• And this is supposed to be the smart one?????

“Which means we have to be a lot more productive, workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows,” Bush continued. “It means that people need to work longer hours.”
                  He later clarified
                  Asked whether he was saying “somebody working two jobs needs to be working even more time,” Bush replied, “Absolutely not. Their incomes need to grow.”

“the simple fact is people are really struggling. So giving people a chance to work longer hours has got to be part of the answer. If not, you are going to see people lose hope. And that’s where we are today.”

WOW a real disconnect from reality.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

• it depends- I THINK he might be saying that employers need to stop restricting employees to working an hour less than would make the employee eligible for benefits- which, as PART of a solution that included higher wages, would actually help.

Comment

• Ironically that would mean some people would then be working less hours, since one full-time job at 8 hours a day is better than two part-time jobs at 5 hours a day each.

Comment

• true- which is actually a good thing, since it would allow for a better work/life balance. ( or allow them to actually get enough sleep each night) Indeed, it might not even cost companies more, if you account for productivity improvements.(it's all but possible to truly give 100% when you're worried about being able to make rent, for example.It's not the employee being lazy, it's just that you WILL be distracted by issues in your personal life.)

Comment

• This is a typical bootstrappy response to the issue of poverty. Only from the other side.

I really do want to know how he's going to get more job hours out of an economy that's firmly entrenched in the information age, where robots are replacing humans faster than companies can add new jobs to their rosters.
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Sadly many employers, especially in the service industry, seem to have no understanding of the concept of morale and productivity improving their business.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                              Sadly many employers, especially in the service industry, seem to have no understanding of the concept of morale and productivity improving their business.
                              this ^^^^ and the fact that a LOT of the US economy has shifted to part-time/on-call/ your availability is WHAT your employer dictates has become the norm over the last 30 years or so (especially in the last 7 or 8 years even more so). ALSO over the last 40 years or so the mass layoffs that seem to occur with frightening frequency. They (employers) have no loyalty to employees and just consider them "numbers and an 'necessary expense to be kept as low as possible'". Then throw in enough of the "professional" type employees who made an art form out of "job-hopping".
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

• “You are on your own, Amy. I can’t do it! I’ve had enough Kardashians! I can’t take anymore Kardashian stories on this show"

-- John Brown, Host of "Good Day Orlando" (FL) on Fox 35

I don't blame him one bit. I wish all of these people would just go away.
                                Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Working...
                                X