No announcement yet.

A Christian Rewrite of Harry Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides, if magic were real and worked like in Harry Potter, it wouldn't have anything to do with religion or morality; it's essentially just a tool.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      Besides, if magic were real and worked like in Harry Potter, it wouldn't have anything to do with religion or morality; it's essentially just a tool.
      Precisely; it would be no different than mechanical aptitude or artistic ability. It would be just another talent that some people have and some don't; nothing good or evil about it.
      People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
      If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
        Precisely; it would be no different than mechanical aptitude or artistic ability. It would be just another talent that some people have and some don't; nothing good or evil about it.
        Fundamentalist Christians believe that any form of witchcraft or magic, whether for good, evil, or neutral, not only goes against God's will, but is provided from Satan. In essence, any supernatural action you manifest or release must be provided by God (e.g. via prayer), and if that supernatural ability comes from anywhere else, it's considered an abomination.

I have fundies in my extended family, and it's amazing how far they will go. My uncle was appalled by my watching David the Gnome back in the day due to its fantasy/magic elements, even though the title character used it for good and there wasn't even a religious or satanic undertone whatsoever. He was similarly upset at Disney movies portraying magic, including Cinderella and The Little Mermaid.

To some, merely mentioning "abracadabra" is equivalent to lighting candles in a circle, etching a pentagram on the floor, and trying to summon Lucifer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          Fundamentalist Christians believe that any form of witchcraft or magic, whether for good, evil, or neutral, not only goes against God's will, but is provided from Satan. In essence, any supernatural action you manifest or release must be provided by God (e.g. via prayer), and if that supernatural ability comes from anywhere else, it's considered an abomination.

I have fundies in my extended family, and it's amazing how far they will go. My uncle was appalled by my watching David the Gnome back in the day due to its fantasy/magic elements, even though the title character used it for good and there wasn't even a religious or satanic undertone whatsoever. He was similarly upset at Disney movies portraying magic, including Cinderella and The Little Mermaid.

To some, merely mentioning "abracadabra" is equivalent to lighting candles in a circle, etching a pentagram on the floor, and trying to summon Lucifer.
          In my office, sitting on the window sill, is a little black wooden figurine. It's African, and it's supposed to symbolize the Zulu goddess of fertility. A former student of mine gave it to me as a gift after she did an internship there (I was her OB instructor).

One of my colleagues told me it was an idol and black magic, and that I should get rid of it.

My jaw hit the floor I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, since I've always known she's a Fundie but she's done mission work in Zambia and interacted with the culture, so I thought she'd know better.

I don't believe in magic, and I told her so. It's a wooden figurine; it has no power of any kind. I keep it because it's cool looking, it was a gift, and it fits in with what I used to teach in this program.

The other instructor said, "Well, uhm, they people there believe it."

Goody for them. I don't.

I read a few chapters of this piece of tripe. Honestly, it's so bad I have to wonder if it's satire . . . meant to get a rise out of people, because it is sooooo over the top.

As for whether or not someone should write a Christian Harry Potter . . . no, no and HELL NO!

If you try to replace magic with religion the story does not work. You are not writing Harry Potter. You're writing something else.

If that's what you want to do, do that. Write something new, and original rather than something derivative, shallow, and dull.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
            I'm not certain about it, because a few misunderstandings about the source material are just so peculiar I can't imagine someone inventing them intentionally, but I'm still leaning towards trollfic.
            One troll deserves another...I've got a looooooong history of reading and reviewing AU fic on my account, and quite a bit I thoroughly enjoyed and reviewed accordingly. So it'll be kinda hard to write me off as just a AU-hating troll...even tho I'm going to countertroll by straightfacedly telling them what an awesome satire it is.
            Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
            Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Working...
            X