No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose... The bullet is in me now. so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best."

Teddy Roosevelt, beginning a one-hour campaign address immediately after a 1912 assassination attempt

Say what you will about the man, but I give him props for that.

Comment

• If he considered an hour a short speech, I'm glad not to have been there to hear a long one.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "I bet if one did an honest account, there were fewer civilian casualties in Cambodia than there have been from American drone attacks."

Henry Kissinger

Ehh, I'd argue, but the numbers are always skewed so badly anyways that there's no real way to tell.

Comment

• "The old uncircumcised geezer...The mule of the Jews."

ISIS spokesman Abu Mohammad al-Adnani al-Shami on Secretary of State Kerry and President Obama

I know about the horrors about the killing and the beheading, but the name calling? That's just cold man.

Comment

• Fox News co-hosts on The Five after report on Maj. Mariam Mansouri, the UAE's first female fighter pilot, who was a team leader in airstrikes against ISIS targets in Syria:

Greg Gutfeld: "The problem is, after she bombed it she couldn't park it."

Eric Bolling: "Would that be considered boobs on the ground, or no?"

You can always count on Faux News to be the "one step back" part of the "two steps forward, one step back" statement.

Comment

• "These are rich people concerns. When is the last time you met someone working for minimum wage who was really upset about global climate change or even believed it was real?"

Fox News' Tucker Carlson

:raises hand:

Comment

• :raises hand too: ( though I no longer have that job- long story. I'm now studying for what is probably the UK equivalent of a 2-year degree.)

Comment

• "I saw a dead body every day of my life; tommyguns, stogies, money in back rooms. And as a kid, you don't know how to interpret that. Two-Gun Pete, who was a black cop, was shooting teenagers in front of the Walgreens every weekend, like entertainment. There were guys hanging off telephone poles with icepicks in their necks."

Quincy Jones, on growing up in Chicago

And people think modern Chicago is bad? Yeesh!

Comment

• "Islam is not even a religion. It's a social political system that uses a deity to advance its agenda of global conquest."

OK state Rep. John Bennett

I could make the same claim for any organized religion.

Comment

• "Obama wants equality. He wants fairness. And it's only fair that America have a nice epidemic or two or three or four, in order to really feel what it's like in the Third World...[He wants to] infect the nation with Ebola...It rises to levels of treason."

radio host Michael Savage

Oh look. Michael Savage is still trying to think he's relevant. He's not succeeding of course.

Comment

• First of 11 conditions imposed by ISIS on journalists wanting to cover developments in Syria's Deir Eznor province:

"Correspondents must swear allegiance to the Caliph al-Baghdadi... They are subjects of the Islamic State and, as subjects, they are obliged to swear loyalty to their imam."

Just putting this here because it was on the page. Nothing really surprising for religious zealots.

Comment

• "It's not really about asking for a raise, but knowing and having faith that the system will give you the right raise. That might be one of the initial 'super powers' that, quite frankly, women [who] don't ask for a raise have. It's good karma. It will come back."

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, offering advice for women who are uncomfortable requesting a pay increase

Probably not the best wording, but not bad advice. It essentially boils down to "those who demand a raise are the least likely to get one". Not really relevant to the issue but not bad advice either. That said, the having faith aspect is really important as well.

Comment

• within limits, yes. (Basically, if the no raises is because the company can't actually afford it, then fine, same for if you aren't really worth it, but there DOES come a point where you need to wonder if the company is taking advantage f you if you aren't even getting COLA.

Comment

• "Let's be honest. Does anyone not believe that Congresswoman Annie Kuster is ugly as sin? And I hope I haven't offended sin. If looks really matter and if this race is at all close, give a decided edge to Marlinda Garcia...Sad to say, but the drag queens are more attractive than Annie Kuster."

NH state Rep. Steve Vaillancourt, on U.S. Rep. Ann Kuster's re-election campaign

Wow, can't get her on her policies so you have to attack her appearance, and poorly attack her on that. I mean ffs, even the one you're supporting is calling you a sexist asshole.

Comment

• Well… that makes one of the few reasons for why I'm glad I left that state.
                                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                                X