Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think THIS is what you wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think THIS is what you wanted...

http://news.artnet.com/art-world/sat...schools-105119

So Florida wound up opening a can of worms when they allowed a guy to distribute atheist material out at a school. Basically, they started allowing colouring books depicting Satanist images into the school, although said colouring books do not actually promote the religion. (They contain things such as "This child is being a bully. Help this Satanist child use inclusive language to defuse the situation")

Given the current bullshit that is happening in Australia, I found this somewhat amusing. (The Australian issue at the moment is two-fold: first is that schools across the eastern seaboard in particular are being subject to an hour of "Religious Education" per week, which can be provided in several forms but is often just confined to Christianity, with occasional alternatives such as Baha'i or Islam if the school is in a Muslim-heavy area. Students who wish to opt out either have the option of an ethics class (in my current state) or they do other activities (other states). Unfortunately a number of schools do not have enough staff to supervise those who opt out and the students often wind up having t listen to said religious propaganda every week even if they won't.)

*The second half of the Australian bullshit is a bit more convoluted, so I'll explain it here: basically prior to our last federal election, schools had the option of having a chaplain (known as a Christian Pastoral Support Worker) or a Student Welfare Worker, funded by the federal govt. The main difference was that one was provided by a church or Christian organisation, the other was not. Both had the same duties, with the Student Welfare Worker simply not providing spiritual support. Technically the chaplains WEREN'T meant to be forcing religion down students throats, but often did anyway (I wound up being subject to this on a few occasions myself when I was in high school)

Then the election happened, the Liberals came into power and things changed. They removed the option of the Student Welfare Worker and basically changed it to "chaplains only." One parent did not particularly like that and started a campaign to tell the government to basically stop funding it. He won the challenge (thank god!) and the government were stuck scrambling. They've since changed the funding to be directed to the states with the same proviso. Thankfully my current state and my home state have both said no.

As for the RE classes mentioned above, one state (not mine) took it upon themselves to start changing things around. A number of schools removed the program (and are now being questioned as to why) and a number actually started making it opt-in instead of opt-out. When they did that, the number of students in said RE classes DROPPED.

The other issue that came up quite a bit on both accounts was that the chaplains (and I do mean chaplains here) were often called out to deal with non-spiritual stuff and were simply used as an extra pair of hands or a sounding ear for non-spiritual advice (ie if a girl had just started her period and had predominantly male teachers, she might go to the chaplain to get some pads). The bulk of their time was in fact used to calm down disruptive children.

to be fair, the can of worms didn't start with the athiests in florida. it started when christians were allowed to put their reading materials in schools. the athiests did it because it would either allow kids to have multiple options, or force the schools to not distribute religious materials at all. because ya know, that'd be breaking the constitution to put one religion over another in a public (:. government) school.
    so they caved to the athiests to keep the christian stuff in. now the satanists are jumping on the trend. again, if they wanted to ban the satanist stuff, they would also have to get rid of the christian and athiest stuff. really, any religious group has free reign to distribute their materials those florida schools now. thanks, religious right!

(can you tell i find it hilarious that the people who push so hard to force their religion in schools now has to eat their own words? hahaha. )
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

These guys amuse me. These are the same guys that made the Baphomet statue and applied to have it put on the lawn of the Oklahoma state capitol. Because Oklahoma wouldn't take down their statue of the 10 Commandments.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
        so they caved to the athiests to keep the christian stuff in. now the satanists are jumping on the trend. again, if they wanted to ban the satanist stuff, they would also have to get rid of the christian and athiest stuff. really, any religious group has free reign to distribute their materials those florida schools now. thanks, religious right!

(can you tell i find it hilarious that the people who push so hard to force their religion in schools now has to eat their own words? hahaha. )
        I do also find it hilarious. On a couple of Facebook groups I follow (Aussie based ones), there has been talk of distributing the colouring book out to kids in schools over here since the government clearly has no problem with chaplains handing out Bibles (I kid you not-my alma mater has gone through quite a few chaplains because they are NOT meant to proselytise but KEEP handing out Bibles and dragging classes out for "group" sessions where they will rabbit on about faith healing. The group that got hit the hardest were the Year 8's*). There's also been suggestions of starting up a multi-faith service and shoving chaplains that AREN'T Christian into schools (to clarify, the groups that get the funding are services specifically designed to provide chaplains or support workers to places, finding an independent chaplain is as rare as hen's teeth, but the independent ones are worth their weight in gold since they're less likely to proselytise and will just encourage good deeds and the like without any religious agenda tacked on). The theory behind this is that many parents have no issue with their child being exposed to a chaplain because they're Christian and therefore must be OK, but if you shove in a chaplain from any other religion, they will suddenly demand that the program be shut down **.

*-Most schools over here are divided up between K-6/7 and 7/8-12. Some schools will combine and do a K-12 with divides at Year 6 and 9. There are a few "middle" schools around, but they're more common with the catholic system and are rare otherwise.

**-You CAN put it in writing that you do not want your child to have contact with the chaplain if you wish. Whether or not this gets enforced is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          they started allowing colouring books depicting Satanist images into the school, although said colouring books do not actually promote the religion. (They contain things such as "This child is being a bully. Help this Satanist child use inclusive language to defuse the situation")
          Erm, you *are*aware satanists don't really worship Satan, right?

Satanists are atheists. We see the universe as being indifferent to us, and so all morals and values are subjective human constructions.
          they have a really nice FAQ due to all the misinformation that abounds.
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Did Fireheart SAY that Satanists worship Satan?
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
              Erm, you *are*aware satanists don't really worship Satan, right?
              I'm aware. Although if you do run Wiki on Satanism, you do eventually come across Church of Satan/First Satanic Church, so chances are that someone will associate THOSE with being a "religion".

Comment

Last edited by static; 06-09-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
                  Assuming all Satanists are LaVeyan is like assuming all Christians are Catholic. Actually, no. It's like assuming all Christians are are the non denominational type who never go to church but still celebrate Christmas and Easter.
                  Given that for the most part, the chaplains are from non-denominational groups and ditto for the RE classes to a point (some schools do differentiate between the catholic and non-catholic), it wouldn't surprise me if this was all that the kids were being taught anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
                    There are different types of Satanism, and although the Church of Satan/LaVeyan Satanism is the most widely known, it's actually pretty looked down upon as "fake" Satanism that most people grow out of by the time they're 16. The likes of the Temple of Set and the Temple of the Black Light do worship a deity that could be called Satan, and there are also different orders of Luciferianism that worship Lucifer as a deity.

Assuming all Satanists are LaVeyan is like assuming all Christians are Catholic. Actually, no. It's like assuming all Christians are are the non denominational type who never go to church but still celebrate Christmas and Easter.
                    Thank you. I'm a theistic satanist. I do actually worship who many people would call 'Satan,' although I prefer Enki.

I also find what happened in the OP hilarious.
                    "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                      Given that for the most part, the chaplains are from non-denominational groups and ditto for the RE classes to a point (some schools do differentiate between the catholic and non-catholic), it wouldn't
                      surprise me if this was all that the kids were being taught anyway.
                      I'm quoting myself here because I wound up discovering yesterday that one of the non-denominational groups is actually representative of FIFTEEN different churches, among them are the Uniting Church (who are fairly moderate) and Hillsong (who are not). So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they are feeding the kidlets stuff that is basically proselytizing.

Originally posted by Eisa View Post
                      Thank you. I'm a theistic satanist. I do actually worship who many people would call 'Satan,' although I prefer Enki.

I also find what happened in the OP hilarious.
                      Thankyou.

I'm just waiting for someone to argue the point down here. The school that I'm working at currently over the holidays has RE classes in a few different religions, but they are the exception, not the norm. (They have 2 Christian ones, a Muslim one, a Hindu one, a Buddhist one, a Baha'i and then ethical classes)

The school I work at during the term only has 2 Christian ones, a Baha'i and a nonreligious one.

Comment

Working...
                      X