No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only thing that even comes close to making any form of sense to me is a higher number due to higher saturation. Basically the same percentage, but because there's more women there's more occurrences.

Yeah I know. Still doesn't make sense. It's all I've got though.

Comment

• "Of course. When you have a servant's heart, when you know there is opportunity to do all you can to put yourself forward in the name of offering service, anybody would be interested."

Sarah Palin, asked if she is interested in running for president in 2016

I wonder which servant she ripped the heart out of?

Comment

• "The good news is that there are more tools now than there were in the previous Congress."

-- Sen. Lisa Murkowski

The bad news is I'm not talking about the constructive kind.

Comment

• "Get out of here, you low-life scum."

Sen.John McCain to protesters interrupting Senate Armed Services Committee hearing by calling for Henry Kissinger's arrest for war crimes

I guess he figured the protestors never voted for him.

Comment

• to be fair, the protestors have a rather...broad definition of war crimes. A War Crime is NOT simply engaging in an illegal war. A war crimne is specificalyl a breach of the laws and customs of war- specifically, a MAJOR breach fo such. it's for people like Hitler- who order massacres. McCain was probably irritated at the false equivalence with people like Stalin or Hitler.

Comment

• Yeah I was thinking about it before I posted that both sides in that were a bunch of assholes so I didn't want to pick a side. I felt I needed to say something about it though. Anyways...

"I'm no theologian, but I suspect that Jesus would tell that God-fearing, red-blooded American sniper [Chris Kyle], 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant, for dispatching another Godless jihadist to the lake of fire.'"

Fox radio host Todd Starnes

Well it's a good thing you're not a theologian because you'd never get anywhere thinking that Jesus was about fighting people with other religious beliefs. And "Godless jihadist" is at best an oxymoron. You know, like military intelligence or Fox News.

Comment

• "You don’t tell me how to raise my kids to avoid reviving a horrific illness that hasn’t been seen on our shores since our grandparents were children, and I won’t tell you how to raise yours. Look, I’ve done the research on these issues, I’ve read the statistics, and I’ve carefully considered the costs and benefits, and there’s simply no question in my mind that inciting a nationwide health emergency by unleashing a disease that can kill 20 percent or more of its victims is the right one for my child."

from satirical Onion piece, "I Don't Vaccinate My Child Because It's My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back"

The sad part is I've seen a genuine article that is very similar to this.

Comment

• I saw on Snopes today (TRUE) a quote from some lunatic doctor claiming that children have a RIGHT to catch measles, chicken pox, etc.

They had vaccines for the others before I came along (and, dad being a *competent* doctor, my brothers and I got them) but I remember getting the chicken pox. Not so much what it was like, except that it was a miserable week nobody should have pushed on them, much less by insisting it's their *right* to be sick.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Not surprising. To be honest I think The Onion might as well start shutting down their political section because what they come up with is no worse than what is ACTUALLY happening. Case in point:

"I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines."

Sen. Rand Paul

You sure it's not on the realization they have to meet you senator?

Comment

• the amusing thing? he's likely not exactly lying- it is entirely possible that he knows several kids who were diagnosed with autism after receiving the MMR jab. However, they would have been diagnosed with it ANYWAY- autism tends to begin manifesting right around the age at which the MMR jab is normally given. (that, and mental health diagnosis is not an exact science- ti took several years and 2 or 3 misdiagnoses for my Aspergers Syndrome and ADHD to be identified correctly- in other words, those kids? may well have had the mental disorders already)

Comment

• Ah, the classic post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. He should take a look at some of these graphs to find more things to propose. Like shutting down ski resorts so that we reduce the number of deaths by bed sheet tangling or adding tarrifs to oil imports from Norway to reduce the number of train collisions.

Comment

• bingo. What's *really* stupid is that a lot of the anti-vaxxers then start claiming that it's not true, and that cases are being 2dismissed" um, nope, all we're saying is that there is a perfectly good explanation for why your kid is autistic without the vaccines causing it.

Comment

• Williams: "Two of our four helicopters were hit by ground fire, including the one I was in."

Letterman: "No kidding!"

Williams: "RPG and AK-47."

Letterman: "What altitude were you hit at?"

Williams: "We were only at 100 feet doing 100 forward knots..."

Letterman: "What happens the minute everybody realizes you've been hit?"

Williams: "We figure out how to land safely -- and we did. We landed very quickly and hard..."

Letterman: "I have to treat you now with renewed respect. That's a tremendous story."

Brian Williams on David Letterman, March 26, 2013

Shame it's all a lie.
                            Last edited by lordlundar; 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM. Reason: redacted original point after research.

Comment

• "what is beautiful is the child that could come from this."
                              __
                              West Virginia Del. Brian Kurcaba (R) while opposing a rape exemption on abortion limitation legislation
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• ...while no doubt, also meaning that the rapist gets visitation rights (yes, this can occur, although somewhat more common is the victim being required to pay child support. Leaving aside the fact that a rapist probably shouldn't have custody of a kid (it's NOT a question of a risk the kid gets raped, but a risk the kid gets brought up to be a rapist) it seems pretty unfair to require someone who'se been raped to pay for the kid's upbringing. ( I have no problems with requiring the rapist to pay child support, however)) oh, and the mother gets no financial help bringing the kid up. (It's a personal belief of mine that at a minimum, sufficient food fore adequate nutrition should be provided if necessary, though I justiofy it on public health grounds ( if kids get adequate nutrition, they'll generally be healthier adults)

Comment

Working...
                                X