The unemployment compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unemployment compensation

While I'm glad those that are out of work are able to collect unemployment, the issue I have is the extra 600 dollars per week given to those that are not working.

Yes, I'm grateful that those that need help are able to get it, but it leaves out those that are working full time making less than 600 a week.

I work as a teacher and am currently working from home. My take-home pay, paid out 2x a month, is 640 dollars. I am grateful to have a job I love, and coworkers and students I love, which I know is more than a lot of people have right now.

I don't need an extra 600/month, but a little extra for those still working would be nice, as I know I'm not the only person working making much less than the extra unemployment compensation people are getting.

I'm not sure what a better option would be, but I would love to hear other people's opinions.

I think the problem is the policy we have is so milquetoast and watered down, it makes everything confusing and doesn't really sell itself.

The policy isn't so much that you deserve an extra 600. The policy is that that 600 goes back into the economy (so you spend it or someone without a job spends it) so that the money then goes to another person who spends it. It's about combating a lack of spending which then snowballs into a worse scenario.

So the easy way to look at it is there's nothing moral about it - it's just we want everyone spending to reduce the impact of the virus.

My personal opinion is that the value is too low - that even if it is more money than most people might make, handing people that money and increasing consumer spending is good for us right now. It's basically just a reverse wealth xfer. My opinion is business owners got too much of the money when they're not the ones spending it.

Comment

JPD ... not sure where you live. I live in Canada and we have the CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit) that was aimed at both employed and unemployed Canadians. The catch for employed Canadians was ... you had to be earning less than $1,000 a month. I am getting early Canadian Pension so ... pretty sure I didn't qualify (I admit I never applied; might have missed out on some money there )

I work as a cashier in a grocery store and they gave us a $2/hr raise to compensate us for working through the pandemic.

And then a few months later, they cancelled it.

There is reportedly now an investigation going on in Ottawa because, oh how curious, ALL the major grocery stores cancelled that extra money at the same time. (Can you say 'collusion'?)

Yes, I would definitely have liked a bit of extra money but even more than that, I'd like the company to reinstate our pandemic pay because we are STILL working and the last time I checked, the pandemic was STILL a thing.
      Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
      ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by JPD View Post
        I work as a teacher and am currently working from home. My take-home pay, paid out 2x a month, is 640 dollars. I am grateful to have a job I love, and coworkers and students I love, which I know is more than a lot of people have right now.
        How? Serious question because working part time at minimum wage I still make more money than that in a month.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I knew teachers didn't make bank but seriously? I could make more than that in a call center!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
          X