You're not a philosopher genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're not a philosopher genius

I appreciate deep conversations, other people, nature, the world around me etc.

According to a person on the bus that is physically impossible because I own a phone.

Like many of his ilk he's a rich kid (mom and dad have money so he has money) that couch surfs, hitch hikes and pretends he's poor when any time he can call up his family and be all "Hey I need some money" Flits off to countries all over the world and claims to be this "authentic" person because he spends a few minutes telling someone how he's so in touch with the world because he's proud to have cut all digital ties.

Uhm so what? This doesn't make your observations about the fraction of the world you see around you mean any more than they did before. I am not so distracted by my phone that I don't notice the beauty around me. I am not so distracted that I won't chat up an interesting person in public. You. You're not interesting.

You speak in cliches, fortune cookies, and the same tired observations every "Enlightened" "Awakened" "Woke", or whatever word you're using this decade Mr. Clone, kid does before they discover the real world and start developing deeper connections to the people around them and explore the people as well as the nature, and the whole of the world reaching true enlightenment when they learn to balance responsibility and fun together.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

jackfaire...

You may have heard of this guy or not, but look up Diogenese of Sinope (aka Diogenes the Cynic).

There are anecdotes related to him that are questionable, but they're still amusing to read about.

Like there's a story that when Plato described "man" as "bipedal and featherless", Diogenes plucked a chicken, and plopped it down, proclaiming "Here is Plato's man".

Another anecdote is that Alexander the Great went to visit Diogenes, when Diogenes was resting under a tree. AtG asked him if there was anything he could do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes, move out of my sunlight."

Those guys were philosophers. Plato, Aristotle, Descartes...Sounds like the guy you're talking about is probably some kind of douchbag "counter culture" hipster. or something.

Comment

Actually you just proved me wrong. He is a philosopher. It's just apparently all Philosophers are smartass douches.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        Actually you just proved me wrong. He is a philosopher. It's just apparently all Philosophers are smartass douches.
        See, I don't think so.

Aside from Diogenes, the people who are thought of as "great philosophers" were also considered great thinkers. Many of them were also considered the first real "scientists".

That guy you know just seems like a toolbag.

Comment

Working...
        X