Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    I think they pulled it out of 10 so they could sell it back to you as an app. -.-

I'm wary of 10 because of all its creepy privacy problems. It was annoying enough configuring 8 to not be a weird stalker.
    This is exactly what keeps me from changing over to 10 from 7. I know it's gotten rave reviews so far, but the privacy issues quite honestly scare me.

Comment

I set up Win10 to install overnight last night. Woke up with 1024x768 graphics (it didn't recognize my video card driver) and couldn't connect to the internet. I was sweating over the idea of having to download drivers on Andara's computer and sneaker-net them to mine, but tried something - I disabled the driver that was active, then reactivated it. Ding, internet found.

Getting a new, Win10-capable graphics driver took as much time as you'd expect downloading a good graphics card's driver... and by the time we were ready to head to work, my screen was back to normal size.

Got home, turned on Steam and Skype, and ran some games. Things work well enough, don't see a huge difference, other than the very different Start Menu. =>_>= That, and finding the Control Panel (and getting use out of it) was a little tricky.

All in all, seems OK. I know some of the privacy issues, but I already know that privacy online is less likely than we think - there's already government and corporate agencies taking large bites of knowledge about us as it is to begin with. I've turned off the "Phone Home" bits as much as possible, and as people figure out ways to disable the rest, I'll go with it, but I'm not going to change my online life over it.

This is literally the first Windows I've gotten anywhere near Launch. All of the rest of them - Windows 3.1, Win95, 98, 2K, XP, and 7 - all of them had problems, all of them were less ideal than "what we have already," so I only upgraded when it seemed necessary. But sometimes... you just have to go with it, and see how it all works out.
      Last edited by Nekojin; 08-14-2015, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Things work well enough, don't see a huge difference, other than the very different Start Menu. =>_>= That, and finding the Control Panel (and getting use out of it) was a little tricky.
        Strange; I find Settings in the Start menu, almost right above the button.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          I'm wary of 10 because of all its creepy privacy problems. It was annoying enough configuring 8 to not be a weird stalker.
          For privacy concerns:
          http://arstechnica.com/information-t...how-to-fix-it/

Basically, don't trust default settings.
          Customer: I need an Apache.
          Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
            For privacy concerns:
            http://arstechnica.com/information-t...how-to-fix-it/

Basically, don't trust default settings.
            I finally installed Windows 10! It looked as if Windows 7 had a new Start Menu, though I fixed that by changing the desktop wallpaper.

For me, the main issue wasn't privacy settings, but the missing fonts in Microsoft Edge. Windows 10 never bothered to put Arial Regular into its Fonts folder; it used a shortcut instead, thus, making Edge revert to the less readable Times New Roman. I managed to fix that by using the shortcut to find the font and install it. I also downloaded new fonts, like Helvetica Neue, when the website in question displayed weird characters.

Comment

I have found one aggravating thing about Edge as it currently stands. I drag URL's to the desktop all the time, and it simply won't do it. The only way I've found is to send the page to IE first and save it from there.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I posted this in the appropriate CS thread as well, but I'll give it a try in here too:

After installing 10, I found out that the Flash plug-in doesn't respond if I want to play Facebook games or watch video streams that are Flash-run when I use Chrome as the main browser. Edge handles it ok, albeit slowly.

Is there a fix for this? If I have to deal with finding a new graphics driver, a link to a walk-through guide would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Updating the driver software helped with the Flash thingy, though I could use some help with the slow graphics still.
                Last edited by NorthernZel; 09-05-2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X