Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People who don't check things on Snopes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a new trend of people making hoax articles using "MadLibs" kind of input. One of them is about [Insert Celebrity's Name] retiring and moving to [Insert Hometown]. If your hometown is some no-name place in the middle of nowhere, or a suburb with tract housing, you tend to get people to say, "Wow, why would he choose to live THERE?"

Comment

Had a friend who shared a meme with an alleged quote from Dianne Feinstein where she supposedly said, "When a gunman realizes that nobody else is armed, he will lay down his weapons and turn himself in, that's human nature."
      I pointed out to her that the original source for this quote was from a now defunct satire site, and the reporter was someone with the tongue-in-cheek name of "Jimmy Olsentwins." I linked to snopes and all she could say was that she doesn't trust snopes because it's run by someone with a bias, and Feinstein was so stupid, it sounded like something she would say. I pinted out that I had found more than one source of debunking, but the snopes link came up first, and she said that she had read them too, but was only posting to stir up all those liberals on her facebook list.
      WTF???
      You knowingly post a false quote just to stir shit? I thought that was what we called trolling.
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Obviously just trying to cover up for being an idiot about it.
        Last edited by MadMike; 06-21-2016, 01:01 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I had one of these myself the other day, the "Mr. Rogers was in 'nam and had loads of tattoos!" thing.

Ugh.

I don't think that man ever even so much as looked at a bullet!
          Last edited by Tama; 06-20-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tama View Post
            I had one of these myself the other day, the "Mr. Rogers was in 'nam and had loads of tattoos!" thing.

Ugh.

I don't think that man ever even so much as looked at a bullet!
            Oh no, that one is true! Obama confirmed it while he was standing in front of his muslim prayer curtain

Comment

The good old "Facebook is going to start charging!" thing is circulating again. Yay. Also saw the one about the Pepsi cans with the Pledge on them, which is so old it's not even funny. I've given up replying anymore. I feel like I'm at a point where banging my head on the nearest wall would be more productive!

Comment

One of my friends shared that about Facebook charging...he seems like an intelligent guy so I wonder how this crapola seems legit to him. Ugh.

Comment

My favorite one of these was one involving the movie "Django Unchained". According to said post, the guy who was torn apart by dogs in the movie wasn't acting. With the prompting of Leo DiCaprio, the actor supposedly willingly gave his life to be fed to dogs on camera.

A quick look at IMDB and I saw said actor was in the middle of filming the newest Mission: Impossible movie (or maybe it was Bourne, I get those two mixed up sometimes).

Comment

And first thing on my Facebook this morning was another person going on about the charging thing....in all caps. Someone make it stop, please!

Comment

OMG! I know. I swear i wonder why people bother to keep me on their friends list since they don't read anything I post.
                      I just keep commenting with this picture.
                      Attached Files
                      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I used to reply with a link to the snopes article debunking whatever BS they spread, but no one read them, so I stopped. Like I said, banging my head on the wall would be more productive.

Comment

Working...
                        X