I actually like targeted ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually like targeted ads

I may be alone on this one but I actually don't mind ads that are targeted at me. It's how I got a really cool shirt from an artist who loves The Expanse.

And in my mind anyone who didn't like this was quite within their rights to complain when Philip K. Dick predicted this very thing.

I might not mind so much if they were targeted a little better. I keep seeing ads on my Facebook for Trump merchandise, and if they were paying any attention at all to what I've been posting, they'd know I wouldn't want that shit if they paid me to take it.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

That's the catch 22. It's like how I'm an open gay atheist but somehow I still see bible stuff.

Comment

I agree. I never understood this because people will praise businesses for the same behavior that they bitch about online.

For example if the barista at their favorite coffee shop starts making their drink before they actually order it they'd be all "I love the efficiency and that she/he remembers what I like"

But an online ad attempts to sell them something they are more likely to want than just random stuff and they get "freaked out"
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
          For example if the barista at their favorite coffee shop starts making their drink before they actually order it they'd be all "I love the efficiency and that she/he remembers what I like"
          That's a little different. Your example is someone who, over time, gets to know you and knows what you want, and doesn't try to sell you extra stuff. A targeted advertising system is a faceless computer program that tries to get you to buy more stuff.
          Last edited by MadMike; 08-24-2019, 01:30 AM.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

They try to sell me stuff I might like. Sometimes it's more stuff sometimes it's not. Targeted advertising is the same. "Holy shit you're telling me there's a new (book in a series I like) sweet thanks targeted advertising"

To me it's not different at all. I don't need there to be a face for the recommendation to be welcomed. Advertising is just that. I would rather see ads for things I care about than the 20th Car ads for cars I will never buy. I'm going to be shown Ads no matter what so why would I prefer irrelevant ones?
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

I think the point jackfaire is trying to make is that they'd rather see targeted ads than untargeted ads. Honestly, they have a point. the actual issue is more that it seems like more and more stuff has ads on these days.

That, and there's perfectly legitimate concern about how much data the companies collect- particularly since an annoying amount gets collected without your knowledge. Unfortunately, some profiles can get detailed enough to make you paranoid about ID theft.

Comment

Working...
              X