Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KellyHabersham View Post
    *will try to keep this brief, honestly not sure how to word things*

To give some brief background - "Grace" used to be a member of the church my family attends, she's a lovely person, and happens to be bi-racial.

Anyhow, it's getting to the point where I'm feeling that while I do not want to unfriend "Grace" on Facebook, I do need to hide her posts from my Facebook feed. And that makes me sad, because this is a woman whom I had liked and had a lot of respect for.
    I really understand your feeling!
    Just like my friends on facebook, they seem really different from before.
    Actually I from Hong Kong, the government in there also messy.
    But my friends just try to against everything whatever right or wrong, they just focus the people.
    What I have done also like you, hide their posts. I tried to talk to them but useless.

Comment

Third, if a person really is partisan enough to intentionally seal themselves in a bubble, to filter out any information that doesn't validate the opinions they already hold...
      It's usually not intentional. It's more that sources that line up with what you believe register as more trustworthy than those that say the opposite. Magnify that with a good portion of the news you hear being filtered by what your friends decide to share, and it's more a matter of having to actively avoid the bubble than of intentionally choosing to close yourself into it.

But it's one of those things where, however you got there in the first place, if you stay too long you *will* become the kind who would choose it intentionally.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

they might well be motivated by believing that Trump was legitimately better than Hillary for them. However, that does not invalidate asking the question about if they seriously believe that someone who has expressed views of almost all isms there are (racism, sexism, nationalism, religious bigotry and arguably classism (it's complicated, but when you claim to be self-made because all the help you received from family was 'a small loan of a million dollars' you are at best out-of-touch with how hard it actually is to build a business from literally nothing. Trump also wasn't taking the same risks- had his business failed, he would not likely have been truly destitute ( in the sense of needing a MW job to keep a roof over his head and sweating over if he could pay the bills) while a normal small businessman could actually face personal bankruptcy if the business fails even if it is an LLC due to the loss of income meaning they can't pay their personal bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony K. S. View Post
          Finally ... If, after everything I have said, you're still not convinced, Canarr, then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I don't believe that it's really possible for most (if not all) people in the U.S. to have gone this entire year without hearing of the substance of the racism and sexism controversies surrounding Donald Trump. If you still do, then we're clearly never going to see eye-to-eye on this, so I will let the matter rest.
          First of all, thanks for the detailed background on this.

Second: my apologies if I wasn't clear on my original post(s) on the topic, both in this and in other threads: I don't actually believe that none of Trump's voters knew about the controversies surrounding him.

If I'm not mistaken, close to 62 million Americans voted for Trump. No, I do not believe that all 62 million of them managed to avoid hearing about Trump's many, many, many scandalous, stupid, contradictory statements. But neither do I believe that 62 million Americans are racist, sexist assholes.

Neither do I make the claim to understand why all those people felt motivated to vote for him. I do believe the feeling ot being left behind, disregarded, unwanted by the political establishment (yes, both Democrat and Republican) is one important factor. We see that in Europe as well. But it probably doesn't account for his popularity in the higher income brackets.

There is probably a multitude of reasons. I still believe that Clinton as a candidate didn't have it in her to mobilize enough voters; some may believe she's a criminal, or corrupt, or too liberal, or too conservative, or too female... in the end, she didn't get the voter turnout to beat Trump, and that's that.

But what I *am* sure of, is that condemning, vilifying, discarding his voters isn't going to fix this. You (Americans) will need to talk to these people, figure out their grievances, help them find another solution than setting it all on fire. And we (Europeans) need to do the same to those among us who feel like Trump's voters do - otherwise we'll have the same shit to deal with that you do.

Okay, maybe not the same shit. Similar shit, but not the same. I don't think there's another Trump out there.
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Q. Are you saying that these views actually simulate what a conservative or liberal sees?
            A. No. It’s possible that users have a wide variety of news items appearing in their feeds. These are simply posts from sources that aligned with a majority of users of a particular political view in Facebook’s study.
            And Washington Post's response is defending a specific idea.

Here's the thing. FB ensures you're likely to see what you most agree with or interact with, or things your friends agree with and interact with. It does not check that you said "Conservative" and only show you these things.

But a little experimentation on my part has shown that that's pretty close to what you see. You'll see links your friends post. The more you interact with (often the ones youa gree with getting liked and clicked) the more like it you find.

For example, a gay or transgender person living in a red state might have a very different perspective on being asked to relate to the plight of people who have, for decades, fought and voted against laws that would protect LGBT people from discrimination. Or worse.
            Yeah, they're the people least likely to be able to. As a bisexual, I can tell you that I am the last person who you should ask about how much empathy you should have towards, say, my boyfriend's grandmother. I believe in principle on being happy with human life, but if I could wave my hand and cause her a heart attack, I'd happily do it without a second thought. Which is exactly why I'm the sort of person you shouldn't ask here. LGBT people are not immune from the pettiness that pervades the rest of the species. We're not magical saints.

You don't get any credit for having empathy for people who you don't think are really doing anything that hurts you. Nevertheless, empathy is needed, because empathy is what will help us move forward.

Black people can be pretty goddamn homophobic too. It's common in black culture, especially the parts of it in the cities, and not in Hollywood and LA. The guy who directed "Birth of a Nation" once said he would never debase the "Dignity of the black man" by playing a gay character.

That doesn't mean we should screw over black people, though. When it comes to black people, we have an understanding that they're in an awful situation, and terrible situations lead to people expressing their frustration with it in ways that can seem counter-intuitive to someone genuinely in that situation.

But when it comes to shitty behavior by the wrong sort of white people, we forget all that and treat them as morally bankrupt scum. Yes. They DO do horrible things. People around the world do horrible things every day. Why can we understand that this is driven in large part by societal forces for everyone EXCEPT poor white westerners?

When these towns supported Donald Trump, was that, as Mr. Wong puts it, a brick thrown through the windows of liberal elites? Undoubtedly. But may I point out, these people would have voted for the Republican nominee, even if it had been George Pataki.
            A lot of the places that Trump won off of, are places that Obama took pretty heavily in 2008, and only a little less strongly in 2012. Obama was promising to make Washington better, to make it different. It didn't work. But it's pretty clear now that that's what they wanted, because they once again voted for a candidate who positioned themselves as fundamentally anti-establishment.

I honestly think that anti-establishment vein was what produced this result. I said to people going into the primaries that I felt pretty sure Hillary would beat any Republican except Trump. No other candidate had such a "Not a standard politician" feel to them. You could see it in the debates. A lot of guys went for it, but Trump staked his claim there, and that netted him the nomination. The last four were a guy proposing a different type of change-Washington that was fundamentally closer to Obama's (Kasich,) and guys with an appeal to only one strong part of the Republican party (corporate leadership in Rubio, and evangelicals in Cruz.) Since Trump's anti-establishment pitch was stronger than Kasich's, he ended up winning.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

There's also the fact that neither Trump or Obama had significant national-level politics experience- Obama hadn't been completed a single term as Senator IIRC, while Trump has never held a political post. It's harder to accept a Washington longtimer like Clinton as a reformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                But a little experimentation on my part has shown that that's pretty close to what you see.
                Well, as has been pointed out, if a conservative is partisan enough to consume news in a "micro-targeted" fashion (as John Oliver put it), then it likely doesn't matter if liberals were "crying wolf" on the issues of racism and sexism, because these conservatives wouldn't listen, anyway.

Also, just about every public forum we have was so saturated with talk of the elections that it really is unlikely that anybody could have been unaware of what Trump was saying and doing, or that conservatives (as well as liberals) were tearing into him for it.

But, if a conservative somehow did manage to block out everything outside of a single, self-validating news stream, like the Wall Street Journal's red Facebook feed, then I would say again that it doesn't really matter what liberals were crying wolf about, because these conservatives wouldn't hear anything they were saying to begin with.

I felt pretty sure Hillary would beat any Republican except Trump.
                That's interesting, because I'd actually heard the exact opposite from a number of people - that Hillary Clinton would lose to any Republican except Donald Trump.

I remember Trevor Noah commenting that the two nominees were both very lucky, because after (1) it was revealed that just about everything that Hillary Clinton had said in her own defense during the e-mail scandal turned out to be untrue, and (2) Donald Trump spent his speeches talking about what a great job Saddam Hussein did of killing terrorists instead of capitalizing on the e-mail scandal to put the Clinton campaign down for good, it was clear that Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were "each running against the only candidate they could possibly beat."

The reasoning, basically, was that Hillary Clinton was so scandal-plagued, and Donald Trump was such a buffoon, that neither of them would have had any chance of defeating any of the other 21 candidates who had been running in the primaries. Clinton and Trump's only chance of becoming President was to face off against the one opponent who would look just as bad.

Now, please understand, I'm not saying that your reasoning is wrong, Hyena Dandy. I think you make a very good argument. I'm not saying that Trevor Noah was wrong, either. I just think that there were probably many, many factors influencing how, and whether, any given person would vote in this election, and ultimately, who would win.
                "Come on. Donald Trump didn't think he was going to win this thing, either, and I'm guessing that right now, he is spinning out. He's probably looking at a map of the United States and thinking, 'Wait, HOW long does this wall have to be?!'" - Seth Meyers

Comment

I'll leave this link here. A lot of good points:

In talking with researchers and looking at the studies on this, I found that it is possible to reduce people’s racial anxiety and prejudices. And the canvassing idea was regarded as very promising. But, researchers cautioned, the process of reducing people’s racism will take time and, crucially, empathy.

This is the direct opposite of the kind of culture the internet has fostered — typically focused on calling out racists and shaming them in public. This doesn’t work. And as much as it might seem like a lost cause to understand the perspectives of people who may qualify as racist, understanding where they come from is a needed step to being able to speak to them in a way that will help reduce the racial biases they hold.

[SNIP]

“Telling people they’re racist, sexist, and xenophobic is going to get you exactly nowhere,” said Alana Conner, executive director of Stanford University’s Social Psychological Answers to Real-World Questions Center. “It’s such a threatening message. One of the things we know from social psychology is when people feel threatened, they can’t change, they can’t listen.”

Arlie Hochschild, a sociologist and author of Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right, provided an apt analogy for white rural Americans’ feeling of neglect: As they see it, they are all in this line toward a hill with prosperity at the top. But over the past few years, globalization and income stagnation have caused the line to stop moving. And from their perspective, people — black and brown Americans, women — are now cutting in the line, because they’re getting new (and more equal) opportunities through new anti-discrimination laws and policies like affirmative action.

I get that it's appealing to treat Trump's voters with scorn, but it's not going to be helpful in the long run.
                  "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                  "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Here's the trouble: that perspective is a lie, and empathizing with it doesn't change it nor, by itself, show any way of getting people who currently believe it to recognize it for the lie that it is.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                      Here's the trouble: that perspective is a lie, and empathizing with it doesn't change it nor, by itself, show any way of getting people who currently believe it to recognize it for the lie that it is.
                      No, of course it doesn't. You still need to provide actual arguments to try and make people change their mind. However, empathizing with them may actually give you the opportunity to try and do so, which simply dismissing them as racist, sexist, uneducated Deplorables will not.

From the article:

In the beginning of their conversation, Virginia asks Gustavo how likely he'd be to support transgender rights legislation. Gustavo says he wouldn't support it because he's worried about predatory men using the law as an opportunity to enter women's bathrooms.

Virginia asks why he feels that way.

"I'm from South America, and in South America we don't like fags," he tells her.

This next moment is crucial: Virginia doesn't jump on Gustavo for the slur, and instead says, "I'm gay," in a friendly manner. Gustavo doesn't recoil. Actually, he becomes more interested.

Gustavo and Virginia go on to discuss how much they love their partners, and how that love helps them overcome adversity. Gustavo tells Virginia that his wife is a disabled person. "God gave me the ability to love a disabled person," he says, and that taking care of one another is why love matters.

"That resonate a lots with me," Virginia responds. "For me, these laws, and including transgender people are about that. They're about how we treat one another."

Now that Gustavo is in a place where he's more open, Virginia asks him to imagine what the worst thing could happen if he used a bathroom with a transgender person. He admits he wouldn't be scared. Then comes the breakthrough.

"Listen, probably I was mistaken," he says of his original position on trans rights.

Virginia asks him again if he'd vote in favor of banning transgender discrimination. "In favor," he says.

Of course, not everybody will be accessible to reason. But do you really wanna write of 62 million Americans as lost cases?

Comment

Working...
                      X