Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Los Altos baseball player sues coach after being benched, claims bullying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Los Altos baseball player sues coach after being benched, claims bullying

http://www.sgvtribune.com/general-ne...laims-bullying

So now "riding the pine" is a form of bullying? Or am I missing something in this story?

Maybe the new coach just thought the kid just wasn't that good. I don't know.

I played American Football all throughout High School. After the second or third game of my sophomore year, I became a starter on offense (Running Back) and Defense (Strong Safety).

My junior year I was somewhat relegated to kickoffs and the punt team. Why? Because I didn't quite have the speed to play my usual positions.

My senior year, we brought in a new coach. I was switched to weak side (or "Will") linebacker, and still played RB. Occasionally.

I didn't see much game time my senior year, either. Even though I practiced with the other guys, played on scout teams, and whatnot.

And it never even crossed my mind that I should sue my coach, or the school, because I wasn't playing.

I don't ever recall playing full games. I would "spot play" (kickoff team, punt team). I suppose you could say that's different. But to my coach's credit, as we went through the season, he did try to get guys some playing time who hadn't played much. But when you only play 10 games, and it's looking like you're not gonna make a playoff run, you want as much PT as possible.

If he's not happy riding the pine they could always cut him and then he could ride his Mama's sofa.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

actually, this is one case where he might have a case. Apparently, the student complained that the coach required all the players to participate in a fundraising event or thye couldn't come to practise- however, it's actually illegal to make such a requirement in California. (specifically, I suspect it's fine to say "we need to raise $X to be able to do this" but you can't say "if a student does not participate in Y fundraising event, they cannot participate in Z") and the student is alleging that he was benched as illegal retaliation for the complaint.

In short, he's not claiming that benching a kid is inherently bullying. However, if said coach benched the kid in retaliation for the complaint, then it IS illegal.

Comment

Working...
      X