Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't there any "...and daughters" businesses???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there any "...and daughters" businesses???

I'm curious about this. I've seen several businesses that are "<whoever> and son(s)", but I don't think I've ever seen "<whoever> and daughters".

I've been curious about it. Is that just something people don't do?

There are (e.g.:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_%26_Daughters) just not as common.

Probably because sons were more often expected to follow the family´s business. While a large percentage of women were expected to either be homemakers or help with their husband´s family´s business.

Comment

Honestly I don't think there should be. I think daughters should totally be partners in their father's businesses if they want to but I don't think the & daughters or & sons for that matter should be a thing.

It reeks of nepotism. Having your actual name on the business says "I earned this I worked hard I learned I earned this" having & Son/Daughter screams "My daddy gave this to me"

I think though that people would treat women more like that than Men. Men would still be respected for having "earned their place" women the assumption would be there by asshats that they hadn't earned it.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

One of my grand-sons is James Robert IV, my dad was the III, one of my grand-daughters is directly named for her paternal grand-mother who is also named for her grand-mother wouldn't that make my grand-daughter III and her GM Jr.? Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???
        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
          Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???
          I actually did see one in my ex's high school yearbook.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            I actually did see one in my ex's high school yearbook.
            West Virginia???

Comment

West Virginia???
              No, Pennsylvania. The state where I live.
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

One of my grand-sons is James Robert IV, my dad was the III, one of my grand-daughters is directly named for her paternal grand-mother who is also named for her grand-mother wouldn't that make my grand-daughter III and her GM Jr.? Why do you never see Jr. attached to a girl???
                1) strictly speaking, generational numbers should only be used when the entire name is identical, and it's more common for daughters to have a different middle name
                2) Jr is used only for parents- anything more distant is II
                3) there was usually the expectation of daughters marrying, so they rarely bothered with generational naming.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  3) there was usually the expectation of daughters marrying, so they rarely bothered with generational naming.
                  That actually makes a lot of sense even today taking the husband's name is the common practice so upon adulthood the Jr girl would no longer have the same name.

Even if she hyphenates. It's actually a complex situation. If the wife doesn't take the last name what surname do the kids get do they hyphenate their parents names?

My Step-Sister and her Husband had a creative solution for this problem instead of her taking his name or him taking hers they decided to choose a new surname.

I am not sure taking a Japanese Surname (they are both of European Descent those kind of people that think our culture is shit and only Japanese culture is good) was the best idea as any kids they have are going to get the "oh are you adopted?" and then have to explain "No my parents are white people that took a Japanese Surname"
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                    1) strictly speaking, generational numbers should only be used when the entire name is identical, and it's more common for daughters to have a different middle name
                    2) Jr is used only for parents- anything more distant is II
                    Generally numericals do follow directly in our family it doesn't. An oddity in my family the names are the same generation to generation. My grandson isn't the only James Robert in his generation, he has a 2nd cousin twice removed with the same name. His father is also James but different middle name. Come to think of it six straight generations of James. Anyways we call him Jamie he's a sweet boy.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                      It reeks of nepotism. Having your actual name on the business says "I earned this I worked hard I learned I earned this" having & Son/Daughter screams "My daddy gave this to me"
                      I've been personally familiar with a lot of these sorts of businesses, and the offspring work damn hard to inherit the business. So much so that if the parents feel they might "ruin" the business after they hand it down, they'll more likely sell it to a partner who's more competent.

And the few people who do inherit it with the attitude of "my daddy gave this to me" run that business to the ground in a matter of a few years. Running a family business isn't something spoiled kids can do very successfully.

Comment

After several years of bouncing from firm to firm my middle daughter is learning my wife's business. The wife is hoping to make her a partner within a year. My daughter isn't being given anything, she's having to work danged hard to get what she hopes is coming, an opportunity to buy the business. Also her formerly no good lazy husband is also working there and he now knows what hard work is.
                        It's looking like my youngest daughter and youngest son will be taking over my businesses or at least I hope so. She's 19 and he's 8 so time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                          I've been personally familiar with a lot of these sorts of businesses, and the offspring work damn hard to inherit the business. So much so that if the parents feel they might "ruin" the business after they hand it down, they'll more likely sell it to a partner who's more competent.
                          I should clarify when I say reeks of I don't mean "this is what this is" I mean that the perception people get is that it's nepotism.

Clint Howard may be one of the most underrated actors of his generation. I don't know but the fact he gets most of his work on movies his brother's involved in tarnishes his reputation by giving the appearance of nepotism. Nicholas Cage changed his name so that people wouldn't connect him to being a Coppola and even today there are still plenty of people who forget that he is.

There are a lot of things in this country that have a different perception than reality.

College Graduates always have a college education (They don't some did enough to pass classes but didn't retain anything or learn anything)

High School Graduates don't know anything above a High school level (Usually they do especially most information taught in a college level is readily available for free but without spending a lot of money for a person to explain it to you it doesn't seem to count)

Father and Sons vs Father, Father, & Sons gives a perception of just being handed something.

It's why Donald Trump didn't go into business with his father as Trump and Son. Instead his dad handed him his wealth and Trump made his own company and while they did many business deals together Trump built a reputation as a "self-made" man regardless of the reality.

I am not trying to discount the hard work that some people put in to take over the family business I am just saying many will.

Who knows in 40 years the perception may be that "Father and sons" or "father and daughters" businesses are the only ones worth any respect.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

While I understand the notion that "and sons" feels nepotistic, their patronage probably consider names like that attractive because it invokes an image of being a local mom-and-pop business rather than a larger one.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                              most information taught in a college level is readily available for free but without spending a lot of money for a person to explain it to you it doesn't seem to count)
                              it's complicated, but there's a couple of reasons for it.
                              1) when done properly, college is far more than "someone explaining it to you"- indeed, quite a lot of information you have to research yourself. Which is itself a skill that is attractive to employers.
                              2) part of it is a college degree's presence is proof that you know something. It's far easier to check if someone has a degree than do something like a technical assessment (as well as cheaper)

Comment

Working...
                              X