Price Gouging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Gouging

So a couple of years ago I worked for a telecommunications company and I learned that when we increase a customer's data speed we don't actually do anything.

Oh sure we let them have the higher speed but it's the exact same equipment and we just stop choking the speed or at least choke it less. Yet we charge them more for doing less.

And that's what's pissing me off right now. If I want speeds of 2000 mbps I would have to drop 300 a month that I don't have for them to just stop choking my speeds. I know there is no new line I would need or equipment or anything. They could give me that speed now at absolutely no increased cost to them.

To make it worse they have introduced a Data Cap. If you go over that Data Cap then you have to pay out the nose for it or pop an extra fifty on your account each month. They claim that 99% of their customers won't be affected by this.

Looking at my usage compared to say other people I would call bullshit. I download and stream these are things that use data and these are the most common uses of data now. So tell me if I use my internet in a typical fashion and I go over the data cap how the hell is no one else going over the data cap?

The problem is that the FCC won't step in and stop the monopoly. Even worse while the cell phone companies may have at one point provided an alternative data source most of them are now owned by the telecommunications company controlling land data.

Just frustrated. I know internet can be better I shouldn't have to pay them to stop making it worse.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Cellular data is the most expensive kind anyway, no matter who owns what.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Back when IBM dealt only in the "big iron", and only leased (rather than selling) equipment, they had (IIRC) a card reader which existed in 2 models. One was twice as fast as the other, but leased for somewhat less than twice as much. It was possible to get a field upgrade from one to the other. What did the upgrade consist of? Moving the drive belt from the "slow" to the "fast" sheaves of a pair of step pulleys.

Comment

wolfie:

I've heard of similar things happening in Software. Allegedly, a company wrote two "versions" of a software. One with purposefully inefficient code, the other with code optimized. Then what the company would do is sell the purposefully inefficient code, then offer an "upgrade" for lots of money...

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Cellular data is the most expensive kind anyway, no matter who owns what.
          Not true actually for sixty bucks I can get internet on my Smart Phone that's just as fast as my home internet with no data cap. There just happen to still be some functions that a computer is geared better towards than a smart phone.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Working...
          X