No announcement yet.

Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just the hard-left, Barracuda, and your post actually demonstrates part of the problem, in that once a group is defined as "the enemy" (in your post, the hard-left) it becomes increasingly easy to vilify people wanting to compromise, since it's not hard to recast what they say as "the first steps to a hard-left agenda", followed by "they are clearly a traitor"

I don't, however, disagree that shutting down peaceful discussion is a bad idea. It's just that I'm not 100% sure that's really what's happening. (I think Greenday's comment was more that during the Obama years, conservatives criticized Obama pretty much constantly, however, now it's Trump in power, those exact same tactics seem to be considered unacceptable.)

Comment

Well, another part of the problem is things like this.

Two white women go to Mexico. They get inspired to start a burrito place. They're accused of "stealing" recipes and have to close their shop because "SJWs" are saying they have "white privilege" and because the wrong color women are making burritos (i.e. cultural appropriation).
      Last edited by MadMike; 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM. Reason: We've already read it, thanks.

Comment

Frankly, I don't disagree with you. Cultural Appropriation is when you take a major part of another culture and do an often-bastardised version of it in such a way as it would be offensive to those who are actually of the culture in question. (for example, there are non-native people that claim they operate a sweat lodge- as in, claim they put customers through the actual Native purification ceremonies. However, a sauna- which uses similar principles to a sweat lodge- is not cultural appropiation, for two reasons.
        1. saunas have been around about as long as sweat lodges have anyway
        2. it's not intended as copying the ceremonial aspects.
        as such, saunas aren't themselves cultural appropiation.

burritos might be associated with mexicans, but mexicans don't- as far as I know- care if anyone else makes them.

Comment

On top of that, as far as I know no one has accused Eminem of cultural appropriation. Nor have they accused Darius Rucker or Charley Pride of "cultural appropriation" of country music (and in Darius Rucker's case, Rock music as well).

Comment

not quite the same thing- Darius Rucker and Charley Pride are legitimately country music singers, so the parallel would be with (say) a Native American that wasn't the stereotype. Cultural Appropriation is about an outsider acting as if they were a member of the group.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
              not quite the same thing- Darius Rucker and Charley Pride are legitimately country music singers, so the parallel would be with (say) a Native American that wasn't the stereotype. Cultural Appropriation is about an outsider acting as if they were a member of the group.
              Sure. I understand this point.

But consider Eminem. No one, I don't think, can say Eminem isn't a legitimate rapper, as far as talent, etc.

He's white, though. And rap itself can be traced back to Africa. And it's a predominantly "black" form of music.

Is it the same with blues music? I mean, look at all the blues greats. They are almost always black.

Of course, there are offshoots. Some people consider Stevie Ray Vaughan to be "Texas Blues". So was SRV culturally appropriating?

I guess the question is, if you're doing something strongly associated with one group, are you "culturally appropriating" from that group?

Like the white women who get "corn rows"? Is that culture appropriation?

Comment

And I posted this in a different thread...

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32808/

And there's also this (if indeed the video/quotes is not/are not doctored/altered):

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...out-decapitat/
                Last edited by mjr; 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

again, it misunderstands what cultural appropriation IS- look at the example I gave, of people running "sweat lodges"- claiming it to literally be as if you went through the native american ceremonies- when they are very much not authorised by a tribe to conduct said ceremonies. Actual Native American elders that perform the various ceremonies that occur in sweat lodges undergo years of training, IIRC, and then some asshole claims to be able to put someone through the ceremony for a few bucks? that's going to piss you off.

Comment

So then I'm not sure how white women making and selling burritos is cultural appropriation. As someone asked, is Chipotle cultural appropriation? They sell burritos, and the last time I went there a white girl made the burrito for me.

Comment

As I said when you first brought this up, it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                        As I said when you first brought this up, it isn't.
                        Which leads to the question: Why are holier-than-thou "SJWs" (because that's what they are) giving these women grief, and essentially "forcing" them (for lack of a better word) to close their business?
                        Last edited by mjr; 05-31-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
                          Which leads to the question: Why are holier-than-thou "SJWs" (because that's what they are) giving these women grief, and essentially "forcing" them (for lack of a better word) to close their business?
                          It's Virtue Signalling: showing how morally superior you are by attacking others for their (perceived) racism, white supremacy, and oppression of minorities.

There's more here. A quote:

Jagger Blaec, writing in The Portland Mercury: "Week after week people of color in Portland bear witness to the hijacking of their cultures, and an identifiable pattern of appropriation has been created…. After the fury continued online, a different resource emerged and quickly went viral: a Google doc showing exactly how prevalent this epidemic is. The list titled 'White-Owned Appropriative Restaurants in Portland' provides a who's who of culinary white supremacy."

Culinary white supremacy. If this weren't about two young women getting their attempt at making a living squashed by people deeming themselves the judges of what is or isn't morally acceptable, it'd be funny.

One huge problem with the whole "white priviledge" theory is that it is continuously misinterpreted: out of the point that being white, on average. confers more priviledge than being not-white, they make "every white person is priviledged, and every not-white is oppressed!" From this vantage point, it becomes acceptable to attack two WHITE women for a very poor choice of wording made in describing their new business, and to drive them out of it.
                          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

And the comments in the link you provided are amusing, too: "stole recipes". That's rich. None of them copyrighted a recipe.

The other comments are amusing as well, and just show the ridiculousness of the entire situation.
                            Last edited by MadMike; 06-01-2017, 09:51 PM. Reason: We've already read it, thanks!

Comment

Particularly when it gets even more extreme- you occasionally get "every white person only achieved anything because of oppression of a black person"- which isn't even remotely true.
                              Last edited by MadMike; 06-01-2017, 09:51 PM. Reason: Yeah, if everyone could stop quoting the entire post, that would be great.

Comment

And then there's this...

http://nypost.com/2017/05/31/college...day-on-campus/

Comment

Working...
                                X