Look under 'idiot' in the dictionary and you'll see her face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look under 'idiot' in the dictionary and you'll see her face

So comedian Kathy Griffin is frantically backpedalling from the photo of her holding what looked like Donald Trump's bloody severed head.

I have no use for Trump whatsoever, including as catbox cleaner, but that was beyond appalling. Why she didn't put her brain in gear before she posed for the photo is beyond me. Apologizing afterwards is never effective, because the first thought (understandably) in many people's minds is, "Oh, lost some bookings, did you?"
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Why she didn't put her brain in gear before she posed for the photo is beyond me.
    Blind hatred, I'd guess? Kinda like the Madonna thing. I've never really found Kathy Griffin funny anyway. I know she pokes fun at her self, but she really is kinda D-List. My wife likes to watch the NY New Years Eve countdown on CNN every year. Kathy Griffin seems to live during that broadcast to make Anderson Cooper uncomfortable.

The irony there is many on the left referred to a lot of Trump supporters as "deplorable". I would say, and I'm sure you'd agree, that the photo in question goes beyond "deplorable". But also, as I suspected, there are people in comments sections that appear to support what she did, and not because it's "art". I don't know if they're trolling, or serious.

It also seems like she and the photographer are trying to use "it's art" as a cop-out (Kinda like "it's just a joke", in some cases). That's my opinion of the guy who put the crucifix in a jar of urine. He said, "It's art". So apparently anything is art if we say it is. Circular reasoning determines what is and isn't art. Is that how it works?

Apologizing afterwards is never effective, because the first thought (understandably) in many people's minds is, "Oh, lost some bookings, did you?"
    I mentioned this incident to my wife. I guess she hadn't heard about it. She's basically like "Well, Kathy Griffin is an attention whore, and people are giving her what she wants -- attention."

But I do note that AFAIK no current member of Congress, Republican or Democrat, has made a statement about it. At least not that I've seen...I mean, what's Amy Schumer's uncle (Chuck Schumer) think? Or Paul Ryan? Or Maxine Waters? Or Mitch McConnell? Or Nancy Pelosi? Or Scott Walker? Or any other "vocal" member of Congress?

All that said, since we (in general, as the public) rarely believe these "apologies" are sincere, when should we believe an apology when it comes from a politician or "entertainer", or someone like the "Chic-Fil-A" guy, for that matter?
    Last edited by mjr; 06-02-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
      Or Scott Walker? Or any other "vocal" member of Congress?
      Just a correction Scott Walker is the Governor of the state of Wisconsin not a member of the US House or Senate.

Otherwise I could care less. Yeah maybe a little too far ......

Heck Bill Mahr just got into trouble for using a racial slur on his program Friday night BUT given the context (I did/do watch his show) and the statement the guest (a very conservative US Senator from Kansas) being interviewed made I think I would have made a similar joke because of what the Senator said and how he said it to Bill.
      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

I don't get what was wrong about what she did.

I really don't get why the same people who laughed and posted pictures of Obama cartoons being lynched are so up in arms about this.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
          I really don't get why the same people who laughed and posted pictures of Obama cartoons being lynched are so up in arms about this.
          Honestly, I'm not sure where the line should be drawn. But what I am certain of is, you (being the general "you") can't be outraged when it's done to the one and OK with it when it's done to the other. If you are, then you're a hypocrite.
          --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I don't get what was wrong about what she did.

Well, by the same argument you could ask why the same people who got upset over the Obama lynching cartoons are okay with Trump being beheaded; and in both cases, you'd still need to verify whether or not those were actually the same people, or just in the general Conservative/Liberal faction.

Myself, I don't get the anger, either. It was a joke. Yes, a tasteless joke, and not particularly funny, but if you fire Comedians over making risky/questionable/tasteless jokes, you're really questioning their entire reason to exist. And, even worse: you're likely to end up with only safe, non-questionable, boring jokes.
            "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
            "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

There's a long tradition for folks in the entertainment industry being shunned, fired, black-balled for saying and doing stupid things.
              I think what she did was in very poor taste, just as those that put out the cartoons regarding Obama. Since the beginning of our country cartoons have been used for/against POTUSs, so none of it's new. I remember all POTUSs being burned in effigy since Reagan and especially so with GWB and Obama.
              Does she deserve what she's getting, why not others have done less and received the same or worse treatment. When she said Trump broke her, that's just BS he didn't break her, her bad taste stupidity broke her.
              If you think about it lots of folks have lost their jobs or worse for stupid stuff they posted online.
              Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
                Well, by the same argument you could ask why the same people who got upset over the Obama lynching cartoons are okay with Trump being beheaded
                Because lynching has super racist overtones?
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Because this is THEIR guy, and Obama was not. That's why.
                  Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
                  ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelated View Post
                    Because this is THEIR guy, and Obama was not. That's why.
                    It always comes down to who's ox is getting gored... There's a whole lot of false outrage going on.
                    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Because lynching has super racist overtones?
                      So... a lynching joke is wrong, because it's racist? But a beheading joke is... not racist, so it's fine?
                      "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                      "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

So... a lynching joke is wrong, because it's racist? But a beheading joke is... not racist, so it's fine?
                        "I'm a D-List Comedian!"

Comment

bear in mind that I don't myself agree, but I think the logic is that what they were angry about is the racist overtones- that is, if it was a beheading joke about Obama, it would be considered to be the same as a beheading joke about Trump.

Comment

Working...
                          X