Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook - ''If you don't share this, you are a horrible human being''

Oh man. Did a major face palm earlier.
    Those ''if you don't share this...'' shaming type posts have always bugged me, but this just made me shake my head.
    One of my ''bible thumping, Jesus loving'' friends is always sharing those posts and memes that tell you to share if you love Jesus, or type ''Amen'' and you will be blessed with money or good fortune, or God will cure some little kid's brain tumor, or something.
    She shares any urban legend hoax or fake news story going.
    I would block her, but she's on my friends list for a couple of games I play.
    Plus, sometimes what she shares is good for a laugh.
    Today, she shared a picture that was obviously made as a huge tongue in cheek joke and she completely missed the point in her haste to show how much she loves Jesus and shame her friends for not sharing.
    It said, ''I bet you won't share this because you are too embarrassed to have Jesus on your wall.''
    It was a freakin' picture of Obi Wan Kenobi.
    Umm, lady, it's not because I'm embarrassed to have Jesus on my wall. It's because I know the difference between a picture of Jesus and a Star Wars character!
    Attached Files
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

The watermark even shows where the image comes from.

I have a similar friend on Facebook. One of the stupidest hoaxes she fell for was there being a "once-in-a-lifetime" green moon sometime in May or something. You have to stand in your backyard at 2am looking up at it to see it, though. I await her status update the morning after the date saying she stayed up just to see... no green moon.

Best of all, when she shares these things, it always has the "related posts" right underneath filled with "This is a hoax" articles from Snopes and other publications.

Comment

Yep. I've had to remind my SIL to check Snopes after she posted this hoax on her FB page. (Link NSFW, and though the pictures are photoshopped, they still look gross.) So far, she hasn't posted any new hoaxes, so I hope she is checking Snopes beforehand.
      People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
      If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Come, now… everyone knows Optimus Prime died for our sins!

"I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsoul View Post
          Come, now… everyone knows Optimus Prime died for our sins!
          Blasphemy!
          Everyone knows Obi-Wan Kenobi died for our sins!

Customer: I need an Apache.
          Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
            It said, ''I bet you won't share this because you are too embarrassed to have Jesus on your wall.''
            It was a freakin' picture of Obi Wan Kenobi.
            Umm, lady, it's not because I'm embarrassed to have Jesus on my wall. It's because I know the difference between a picture of Jesus and a Star Wars character!
            I have a cousin who did this exact same thing. I didn't realize, myself, that the picture was Obi-Wan. I just did a quick glance, so I missed the watermark.

Comment

The ones that really make me cringe are the anti-bullying ones that say 'Like and share if you're against bullying or ignore if you're for it'. Yeah, trying to bully me into sharing an anti-bullying post is really going to work

Comment

Originally posted by drjonah View Post
                The ones that really make me cringe are the anti-bullying ones that say 'Like and share if you're against bullying or ignore if you're for it'. Yeah, trying to bully me into sharing an anti-bullying post is really going to work
                Ah, yes...the old "false dichotomy"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

I wonder what would happen if you wrote back, "What if I'm against people posting stupid things like this??"

Comment

they would consider it as you being pro-bullying, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                    One of my ''bible thumping, Jesus loving'' friends is always sharing those posts and memes that tell you to share if you love Jesus, or type ''Amen'' and you will be blessed with money or good fortune, or God will cure some little kid's brain tumor, or something.
                    Ugh. One of my friends is constantly posting those things. Most of hers usually have a line similar to "post this, and God will give you money at the end of the month..." Seriously? Many people get paid roughly twice a month. Tell me again how God has a hand in it?

Comment

If you get tired enough of their posts that you don't want to see them any more, but you still want to be friends on FB, you can hide their posts from your feed. I forget where it is in the settings, but I had to do this with a few acquaintances that I have as FB friends. I play D&D with them, and FB messages is how we schedule games. But I got tired of seeing their slot game invites and political posts.
                      "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Had another friend post the Obi Wan Kenobi/Jesus thing again. LOL
                        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                          If you get tired enough of their posts that you don't want to see them any more, but you still want to be friends on FB, you can hide their posts from your feed. I forget where it is in the settings, but I had to do this with a few acquaintances that I have as FB friends.
                          I think you can do that directly from your newsfeed; find a post from the FB friend, click on the "arrow" at the upper right corner of the post itself, and choose the "Do not show posts from *name*" option from the drop-down menu. You won't unfriend the person, merely hide all posts.

You can also filter the posts without "unfollowing" - for instance, I have a friend where I can see some of his/her posts that are relevant to me but I am spared for the tons and tons of name-generator-app posts or shared ads for his/her brother in law's business. Again, you open the drop down menu and choose "Do not show "what-character-are-you-game.com" posts.

Comment

Going to post this later.

Someone pointed out to her that it wasn't Jesus and she tried to say that she knew who it was and she was making a statement, "May His force be with you" but now I see the picture is gone. LOL
                            Attached Files
                            Point to Ponder:

Comment

Anyone remember shortly after 9/11 the media footage of anti-American protesters holding up pictures of Bert from Sesame Street? It seems there was a humour group running a "Bert is evil" website, with photoshopped pictures of Bert standing alongside various bad guys. One of the bad guys was Osama Bin Laden - and the people looking for pictures of OBL on the web either didn't know, or didn't care, who the yellow guy in the striped shirt was.

Comment

Working...
                              X