Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use your "ignore" list

1. Log in.

2. Click on your username in top right-hand corner of the screen.

3. Click on "User CP".

4. Click on "Edit Ignore List".

5. Enter the name of the user you wish to "ignore". You will no longer see posts made by this person, or threads started by them.

6. Stop sending the mods PMs complaining about certain users you find annoying. You'll likely end up getting a response linking you to this post.

If you choose not to put a user on ignore, we can only assume that you enjoy being bothered by their posts. There's nothing wrong with that. Getting into arguments is the draw here. Just stop pretending you don't enjoy it or get something out of it on some level. If you're not using your ignore list, you aren't that annoyed.

Very helpful.

Except... you then see threads that make no sense because you're only getting some of the posts. And, unless this board shows a placeholder where the removed posts were, you don't even know it and will then sound like an idiot if you respond to what you see.

(I've never really wanted to ignore anyone here anyway; it seems counter to the purpose of the site, for one thing, and for another everyone says something useful now and then. But certainly, if you just can't stand someone's posts and they're not actually breaking the rules, putting them on ignore makes more sense than bothering the mods!)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Just curious since I never ignore people, if someone quotes something by someone you've got ignored, how does that show up?
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        And, unless this board shows a placeholder where the removed posts were, you don't even know it and will then sound like an idiot if you respond to what you see.
        There's a placeholder, and it reminds you that if you want to see what has been said, you'll need to take that person off Ignore.

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Just curious since I never ignore people, if someone quotes something by someone you've got ignored, how does that show up?
        I've never seen Forum software that was that robust. Generally, responses to the ignored people will be shown, unless the person doing the quoting is also on your Ignore list.

Comment

Usually it just shows up like a normal quote, or at least it used to, I sometimes wonder if everyone has me on ignore, because no one ever responds to me. :'(

, fake tears damn it, I was being silly
          I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
          Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
            Usually it just shows up like a normal quote, or at least it used to, I sometimes wonder if everyone has me on ignore, because no one ever responds to me. :'(

, fake tears damn it, I was being silly
            Responding to you just because

Hiding quotes from people you've ignored would be much more difficult than it could possibly be worth. Quotes don't actually refer to anything; they're just text that happens to have certain strings of characters before and after. That's why you can edit them, and why you can type anything into one.

And you don't even have to include a name. Though hiding quoted text is a more practical idea than a related one I saw in the "site suggestions" area of another board: they wanted it fixed so that when you EDIT your post, the change is reflected everywhere you've been quoted in the meantime.
            Last edited by HYHYBT; 05-15-2012, 03:27 AM. Reason: couldn't resist adding the link
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              Though hiding quoted text is a more practical idea than a related one I saw in the "site suggestions" area of another board: they wanted it fixed so that when you EDIT your post, the change is reflected everywhere you've been quoted in the meantime.
              That would be ripe for trollish abuse. Say something outrageous, wait for someone to quote you, then change your original post to something more reasonable, making the respondent look like an ass, and play the victim instead of the aggrressor. I'm a big fan of making people live their words down.

Comment

It certainly would be.

I *think* the original suggestion was from a moderator sick of combing through threads to remove every instance where an objectionable post had been quoted. That board also allows flagged posts to be restored if they have been edited to remove the problem, so it sort of made sense as a suggestion even though it would have opened the door wide for abuse if it were otherwise feasible.

Comment

*ignores mods*

Only joking. XD I don't use the ignore feature on this forum; it only really works for me on Gaiaonline, where it stops people who attack you from replying to your threads or PMing you. Here, if someone was trolling you, they could still PM you, you just wouldn't see what they'd written.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I hope the forum software is robust enough to recognize that a user is flagged as "Moderator", and automatically remove such people from "ignore" lists.

Comment

Can't ignore moderators. Standard feature, I'm pleased to say.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X