Your favourite religious songs as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite religious songs as a child

I encountered this very cute assembly of singing children celebrating First Communion last Saturday here.

I don't know what the title of the song is (most likely "His Manner over me is Love"?), but the children were very cute, so I had to film it and post it.

If you were religious as a child, what were your favourite religious songs that you sang?

One of my Favorite "traditional" hymns is "The Old Rugged Cross". Another of my favorites is "Who Am I?", and "How Great Thou Art".

Comment

I'm not of the religious type but I LOVE this video, what an All-Star cast! Lots of Hall of Famers too!

https://youtu.be/7bRJLkNqNXI

And on another note but when that song/commercial/whatever about "Dear Mr Jesus" came out (I was only about 7-8) I honestly thought at the time her writing to Jesus was no different than a child writing to Santa or something. Little did I realize at the time what she was really writing about.

Comment

I always liked "Jesus Loves Me" and "Who Built the Ark?" Oh, and "Zacchaeus was a wee little man".

My all time favorites are "Were You There", "On Eagle's Wings", and "Here I Am, Lord".

Actually, I love anything written by Dan Schutte.
        I has a blog!

Comment

I've never been religious, beyond toying with spiritualism in a broad sense in college, but my parents did send me to Sunday school while they were in church as a small child. Back at that age, my favorite was definitely "Down In My Heart", because they let you yell the lyrics as loud as you wanted, and that was very important to me as a 5-year-old.

Nowadays, the closest I get to listening to religious music is generally going to be E Nomine, though I do sometimes stumble upon something else that amuses me.
          "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
          TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I liked Mary did you Know and Ave Maria. I dislike most of the contemporary Christian rock songs, but any hymn, especially one arranged well, or even as an instrumental can be pleasant to listen to.

And all of Jesus Christ Superstar and Jesus is just Alright ... granted, it's not exactly a hymn or even really songs that you'd hear at church, but I still enjoy it.

Comment

Does Spirit in the Sky count?
              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

We sang a few in Girl Scouts, Rise and Shine and Kum Ba Yah among them.

In Sunday School we'd sing Jesus Loves Me, Jesus Loves the Little Children, This Little Light of Mine, and many others.
                People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
                If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Probably going to hell for this, but I liked a parody of "Jesus Loves the Little Children".

Napalm kills the little children
                  All the children of the world
                  Red and yellow, black and white,
                  They'll be crispy fried tonight
                  Napalm kills the little children of the world

Comment

Working...
                  X