Should you follow an actor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you follow an actor?

For this question I have an example. When I was a kid the Movie Mighty Ducks came out and I met Joshua Jackson in the role of Charlie.

When I was a junior in high school he starred as one of the main characters in Dawson's Creek and I started watching that show because he was in it.

Later when that show ended I watched Fringe.

Now the thing is all three of those shows are things I would have watched even if he hadn't been in them because they were the kinds of things I liked.

Now he's been doing the show The Affair for a few? years. Something I only recently found out because I don't get Showtime. Which brings me to my question. I have read the synopsis of the show and watched previews.

Honestly I can't see having much interest in the show. This regardless of the fact I am a fan of Jackson's work. So what do you all do? Follow the actor into a project or walk away and wait for him to work on something more to your liking?

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I'm a Clint Eastwood fan and I certainly do not like everything that he's done but for the most part I like his work.
    My youngest daughter is an Arianna Grande fan but does not like her latest album, she says it's disgusting.
    I like George Jones music after he got sober but his drunk crying in your beer stuff I can't stomach, but that's what my FIL likes.
    I say like what appeals to you and don't bother with rest.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Mighty Ducks. I haven't watch those movies for years. I'll have to dig them out and watch them again.

I am a fan of Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Helen Bohan Carter and a few other current actors. I will watch almost anything that they are in. I'm also a big fan of Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and a few other big names from the golden days of Hollywood. While I go out of my way to get the movies a few of my favs are in, there are the odd ones that I just can't watch. I can't watch horror movies, so I would always not watch no matter how many of my favourite actors are in it.

There are a few actors that I just can't watch. Sometimes it is because I can't take them seriously (Tom 'lets jump on a couch and no noise while giving birth' Cruise), sometimes it is because they are irritating (Adam Sandler) and sometimes because their choice of roles/movies just aren't interesting to me.

Comment

First off I love The Affair!! I've been watching it ever since it started. But on the subject I don't necessarily watch every single thing an actor that I like is in. I watch what interests me.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm 50/50 on this, well maybe 60/40.

Sure you said you would have seen those shows even if he was in them, or if you didn't like/know of him as they are your jam.

At one point I watched a few movies by the Star Wars cast, purely due to them being in Star Wars and I was still a kid at the time, sure Indiana Jones movies were great (till the 4th), but the two Carrie Fisher movies I remember seeing I saw not because she was in it, but because I was watching a movie that piqued my interest, well in one case it was a movie my dad rented that I would not have found by myself and hers was a bit part of the same size as Jay and Silent Bob strike back, but you could tell it was her right away.

Mark Hamill I only ever saw one film of his post Jedi, but that's cos at the time (90's UK no internet), he seemed to me to have stopped acting and that was the live action American Guyver movie and that is best forgotten, I also saw one Amazing tale he was in, but I was gonna watch that show regardless.

I saw many Alec Guinness movies, not because he was Obi Wan, but because my dad liked his movies and I saw them cos they were on and he was a very young man in these, but Star Wars was my first exposure to the man. I have not gone back and watched one of his films since my dad died as TBH the only reason I would watch them is because he was watching them and I had nothing better to do at the time. Don't get me wrong, I liked the films, I just don't feel the need to rewatch them any time soon.

Nowadays, if I like the idea of the movie, I will watch it, a name star might get me piqued, but I won't honestly watch a movie just cos Scarlett Johansson is in it, though some movies are a turn off should I see an actors name attached to it, I might eventually watch it, but it will take some time or a bloody good reason to watch it new.

I won't watch every Nicholas Cage movie, but it is nice to know which Cage you are getting to see if it is gonna be great or so bad it is good, but had any other actor been attached to the movie, I may never have watched it.

But TBH I don't think I could sit through a show just cos an actor I liked was in it, if it turned out they were the only reason to stick around.

Comment

You don't have to watch everything a favorite actor is in, but if they're still a favorite actor, then by all means, keep following them and stay informed on what they're working on! Maybe the next project will be something more to your liking.

Comment

Working...
            X