Tried to apply for a job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to apply for a job...

...and they tried to sell me on furthering my education.

I went to apply to a nearby "Tree of Dollars". Went to the website, filled out a couple of questions, got directed to call a number to finish the interview.

I should have suspected something, but stupidly, I didn't. Got an operator who could barely speak English, it started out like a regular job interview, then he steered me into education and tried to sell me on going back to school.

First of all, I do not need an advanced degree to work as a cashier or stocker! Second, all I wanted was to apply for a job! I'd love to go back to school, but I can't afford it, and I've got a family to take care of. I can't put them on hold and in hock so I can get a fancy-schmancy degree which'll probably be obsolete by the time I finish it.

I left a message on the company website stating how I did not appreciate it. I doubt it'll do anything, but it couldn't hurt.

But seriously, I'm getting sick of this bait-and-switch. This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me. That's why I'll never use Craigslist again; they did something similar. I'd apply for a job and get my e-mail flooded with spam and phishing schemes. It's absolutely disgusting that they're taking advantage of desperate job hunters.

Had to rant and get it out of my system.
    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

You have no idea how much I hated those scams (and yes, I'll use the word scam, because without fail it was for a for-profit school that may or may not be accredited).
    "Would you like to further your education?"
    Well, honestly, I already have all the education I need for my goals, I have my bachelor's degree plus extra credits that I need to be able to become a CPA. Some day I might want to go back to school to get the courses I need to go for a CFE, that would be interesting, but that is a while down the road. What I need now is a job that I can use to get the practical experience requirement for the CPA. Besides, I already talked to the last person trying to sell me the same school, they don't offer the classes that I would need for the CFE anyway.

Fortunately, I have such a job now and never have to deal with those asshats again, but it boils my blood just how many people they have tried to take advantage of who were desperate.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
    X