Then maybe you just don't like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Then maybe you just don't like it?

I saw someone review the Green Lantern movie recently. I have been a big Green Lantern fan since I was a kid.

His complaints abut the movie were mostly things drawn directly from the comics. Then he wrapped up by calling it a poor imitation of the comics.

The thing is if the parts you most dislike are the parts from the comics then maybe you just won't ever like it no matter how well they do the movie. For example he accused the way the ring works (the only limits are your imagination) being an Empire Strikes Back rip off.

I mean seriously if you don't like those things that make the character who he is then even if they make what you consider to be a better movie you still won't like it because it will still have those things you didn't like. It's not the first time I have seen a review like this where the person accuses it of "betraying the fans" but then calling out not the things that disrespect the source material but rather things from the source material as being bad.

I bring this up because I really genuinely wish that movie critics would stop bringing the source material into their reviews. I have never seen a reviewer bring up the Book by William Goldman when discussing the Princess Bride.

Talking Gone with the Wind no one discusses the book.

But with movies whose source material are comics books they absolutely feel the need to compare the two even if they seem to have no knowledge of the comics.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Battlefield Earth is a great book, John Travolta's movie would have to substantially improve just to suck. One of the worst movies ever I think L. Ron would be disappointed.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
    X