Worse than a sore looser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse than a sore looser

So last Saturday morning with my two youngest sons we went to a few turkey shoots at local civic-clubs and churches.
    For those that don't know a turkey shoot doesn't involve actually shooting a turkey, the target you shoot at is scoring rings on heavy paper. The shooters buy into each round by putting in $5 to $20 it depends on what the prize is for that round. The prize varies from hunks of cheese to frozen turkeys to smoked hams to money. These shoots are usually fund raisers and generally fun. Some shooters have specifically modified shotguns to shoot very tight patterns, closest to the center wins and dial/digital calipers are used to determine winners.
    So after 10 rounds between the boys and I we had 3 hunks of Amish cheese. On the ham shoot my youngest son (8) was declared the winner of an 18 pound smoked ham. An older man protested the decision and when the judges tried to re-examine the targets my son's target was "missing" so he was disqualified and the man won. Afterwords my son went over and congratulated the fellow and offered his hand, the guy snubbed him. I was told after the shoot the missing target was found wadded up in a burn barrel.
    Today we returned and my brothers and their sons came with. The guy that won the ham came up to me complaining that my son insulted him, I asked when and how. The guy took offense when he was congratulated last week. So he wasn't a sore looser but a sore winner from a little boy being polite??? I called my sons over and told them what was going on, so with out being told my son offered an apology and the guy got even more angry and threatened a fight. My older son (24) stepped in between and we walked away. The guy tried to get us thrown out. Today my youngest brother won the big turkey and youngest son won a canned ham at a different shoot.
    Do you think there might have been some guilty feelings involved???
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Guilty feelings? No.

I think the guy has a huge ego and set opinions of how things should go. To his mind not only should he easily beat an 8 year old boy but the 8 year old boy should be devastated and act like a giant baby about it.

The fact that your son continually acted more mature about the whole thing than he did rankled him. It forces him to face what a shitty person he truly is.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

So this idiot most likely threw out your son's target and he is still acting like a douchebag?! Is there some sort of committee you can report "it" to? If there is, I think you should definitely report his behaviour..idiots like that deserve a banning!!

Comment

Yep, your son acted like an adult which peeved the man off so he had to act like a child.

Comment

IMO my son is a great kid and I love him dearly. He kinda had to grow up more than most kids his age. Biologically he's not related to our family he the son of my wife's youngest brother ex-wife, she had re-married and had him. They as a family were hit by a drunk driver one evening and his mother was paralyzed from around the shoulders down and his father suffered a TBI and has regressed to early-teenhood. Neither set of grand-parents could or would care for him, with no other family we were suggested by his mom. So around the age of 3.5 he came to live with us. His mom passed about 18 months ago, his dad isn't capable of caring for him so we adopted him about a year ago. We told him he might not be a child of our blood but he is of our hearts.
          We and his school really push manners and sportsmanship we can disagree without being disagreeable. I doubt he knew of the target being found and most likely would have reacted the same way. I'm proud of him the same his sisters and brothers as well as his nieces and nephews.

Comment

Wow an 8 year old acting more like an adult than an adult?????? What is the world coming to these days?????

the guy just seemed like he wanted to be a jerk over all. AND threating to FIGHT an 8 year old who did nothing more than be polite??????
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
              Wow an 8 year old acting more like an adult than an adult?????? What is the world coming to these days?????

the guy just seemed like he wanted to be a jerk over all. AND threating to FIGHT an 8 year old who did nothing more than be polite??????
              Thank you, Had he laid hands on my son, he wouldn't have liked the results. My two older are grown men with the oldest being a serving Marine and the other a very large fire-fighter (he's really strong.) My brothers like myself are combat tested soldiers (we're also retired from the Army.) So he'd would have had to fight 5 big men before he got to a little boy that oddly also knows how to fight or at least run away. I'm glad this all ended without any hurt.
              Another round of turkey shoots start this weekend. Youngest's school 4-H club is putting on a shoot that's mostly geared toward the kids. It should be fun for all.

Comment

Working...
              X