No announcement yet.

"Under God"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure we had to say it every day from Kindergarten (or at least 1st grade) through 12th grade.

People got yelled at in high school if they didn't stand.

Comment

If we didn't stand at my high school, we got detention. And some of the teachers would give detention for not saying it, too. I don't think I've actually recited the Pledge for reasons other than debate or discussion since sometime around 7th grade, however.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        If we didn't stand at my high school, we got detention. And some of the teachers would give detention for not saying it, too.
        Wow. That's...pretty disturbing really.

Comment

Of course, all the godless atheists were indoctrinating their children, whereas they were just standing up for freedom (tm).

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            Wow. That's...pretty disturbing really.
            Yup. Which is at least part of the reason I actually stopped saying it entirely just about the time when I really started thinking for myself and questioning authority.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              If we didn't stand at my high school, we got detention. And some of the teachers would give detention for not saying it, too. I don't think I've actually recited the Pledge for reasons other than debate or discussion since sometime around 7th grade, however.

^-.-^
              My junior year of high school was when I finally stopped doing the pledge. School rules said you had to stand but you didn't have to say it. My homeroom teacher threatened detention but I told him I'd never show up since it's not a valid reason for detention. He then had the balls to call my mom and told her I'd have to write an essay on why I felt I shouldn't have to do the pledge and I just ignored him and did my own thing anyway.

It's crazy how obsessive some people are over this crap.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

My experience was similar to Greenday and Andara's, except it was expected of us through high school. The last teacher I had who required it (and promised me detention for not standing/saying it) was the 11th grade science teacher, who covered our homeroom sometimes.
                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I stopped saying the pledge of allegiance in the 5th grade, stopped standing in Junior High. Not because of the Under God bit but just because I decided I didn't like institutionalized indoctrination.

I learned in the Boy Scouts that doing something just because that is how the masses expect you to act is wrong. Side note the Boy Scouts were trying to teach me it's right.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                    I stopped saying the pledge of allegiance in the 5th grade, stopped standing in Junior High. Not because of the Under God bit but just because I decided I didn't like institutionalized indoctrination.

I learned in the Boy Scouts that doing something just because that is how the masses expect you to act is wrong. Side note the Boy Scouts were trying to teach me it's right.
                    Most of society tries to teach obedience and respect to authority (and/or to the pack), which really becomes ragingly hypocritical these days when the same people beating that drum are also going out of their way to slander the president.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                      Most of society tries to teach obedience and respect to authority (and/or to the pack), which really becomes ragingly hypocritical these days when the same people beating that drum are also going out of their way to slander the president.
                      It's not actually hypocrtical. They have never taught "respect authority for being authority" they have taught "respect our authority and people that think just like us"
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                        Happy holidays? To everyone who ever threw such a shit fit about merry christmas that they got it changed to happy holidays has NO LIFE. They are a shit disturber. It doesn't affect them in any way and doesn't violate anyone else's right, unless you're seriously concerned with your right to not here merry christmas.
                        freedom of religion IS A RIGHT, and if I'm of any other faith that doesn't celebrate xmas, forcing me to say it, or saying it and getting offended if I don't say it back is violating my rights. and dividing into "us" and "not us", what is so wrong about including everybody, not everyone celebrates christian holidays, and getting offended about being inclusive to everyone is just bizarre.

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                        Can anyone honestly say they are offended and feel persecuted because they had to <gasp> hear "under god"?
                        When you are one of two non christians in school, and one of two that don't say under god, yes you do get persecuted.(I was beaten with bibles to "drive the deamons out of me", and the Jewish kid was called "christ killer", we were each other's only friends, because we were "different" and ostracized.
                        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Pitching a fit over it is ridiculous. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever they say. What's ridiculous is caring whether someone says the 'wrong' thing.

I don't mind people wishing me Happy Holidays. Or Happy Hannukah.

Besides, I celebrate two holidays that time anyway. Christmas and New Years. I hope that both of them are happy.
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                            Pitching a fit over it is ridiculous. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever they say. What's ridiculous is caring whether someone says the 'wrong' thing.

I don't mind people wishing me Happy Holidays. Or Happy Hannukah.

Besides, I celebrate two holidays that time anyway. Christmas and New Years. I hope that both of them are happy.
                            Very much this. Christians who get bent out of shape over "Happy Holidays" or any other festive greeting are self-important idiots. Non-Christians who get bent out of shape over "Merry Christmas" are also self-important idiots.

Take it in the spirit it's intended - a generic, seasonal well-wishing. And stop being such a Scrooge.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                              Take it in the spirit it's intended - a generic, seasonal well-wishing. And stop being such a Scrooge.
                              really so an exclusionary, christian celebration is "generic"-huh could've fooled me, for some of us it's a very painful reminder of our isolation and the fact that if the person saying it knew we didn't believe the same things, they may hate us or wish for our death, rather than wish us well.
                              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                                really so an exclusionary, christian celebration is "generic"-huh could've fooled me, for some of us it's a very painful reminder of our isolation and the fact that if the person saying it knew we didn't believe the same things, they may hate us or wish for our death, rather than wish us well.
                                I don't know if you've noticed, but just in the past 40 years, Christmas has gotten considerably more secular and commercialized. I know Buddhists who celebrate it, for crying out loud.

Comment

Working...
                                X