Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastor Did Not Set Himself on Fire

Ex-Pastor Says He Wasn't Going To Set Self On Fire Over Gay Marriage

Rick Scarborough, a former pastor, said that if the Supreme Court ruled for marriage equality, he would set himself on fire. After SCOTUS ruled for marriage equality, he said he never said he would set himself on fire. Needless to say, the conflagration isn't happening.

I would have put it in "Check It Out" in Customer Suck, but it would have been flagged.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

It's cool, we was totally kidding. *wink wink nudge nudge*
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

After the ruling came down, and people kept bringing up the article on this guy, I repeatedly stated that I would bet anyone anywhere $100 that this loudmouth would weasel out of his previous statement.

Not one person took me up on that bet. And then the pastor made his ridiculously predictable cowardly backpedal.

Gee, didn't see that one coming.....

Comment

What, exactly, was his original statement, in his own words, and not just a handful of them trimmed from context?
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If course not, they don't take sucker bets.

Comment

He didn't actually say he'd set himself on fire, just that the faithful would burn if necessary.

I'm not really sure what they hell he was on about other than standing strong against the liberal tyrany against god or some shit...
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Heh, Rosie O'Donnell and some of her other far left Hollywood buddies also promised to move to Canada if Bush became President back in 2000. Boy I wish Rosie kept her word... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Estil View Post
                Heh, Rosie O'Donnell and some of her other far left Hollywood buddies also promised to move to Canada if Bush became President back in 2000. Boy I wish Rosie kept her word... :P
                Yes, sometimes celebrities who make spectacles of themselves for a living make hyperbolic public statements.

Both sides make remarks like this. Those on the left have been promising to move to Canada since at least Vietnam, while those on the right have been promising radical political action, armed insurrection, and legally-dubious political manipulation for just about as long. Possibly because they places they could flee to that share their ideals aren't typically as pleasant as Canada (thought Russia does share that whole "vast frozen wasteland" thing with Canada, so they have that going for them).
                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I think it's a relief that he didn't do this. There are so many people who are absolutely determined to keep gays from getting married. They are under the delusion that they are standing for something righteous and moral (even though they are the ones fighting against a human right).

This pastor and those like him are still batshit crazy, but if even them can realize that setting yourself on fire over gays being allowed to marry is insane, than there's hope for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Estil View Post
                    Yes! All.....uh, just Eddie Vedder.

Seriously, this one is so pervasive there's a Snopes page for it. Which lists....Eddie Vedder as the only verified celebrity vow to leave the country if Bush was elected.

So, that's a swing and a miss. What's your next "libtard" sound byte we can look at? -.-

Rush Limbaugh threatened to leave the country if the ACA passed. I'm still waiting.

Comment

It seemed to me from the start that he was merely grandstanding with no intention of following through with it, because the current M.O. among conservative evangelicals is to make whatever outlandish claim will earn them a viral news story and then be forgotten before anyone realizes they never made good on their threats. Also, there was a retired pastor who set himself on fire for a cause he believed in, but it got next to no nationwide attention since he did it for racial equality.

Comment

Working...
                      X