Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't we admit we have different values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't we admit we have different values?

I saw recently people get into an argument. A person had posted a story annoyed because they had to move a bunch of wheelbarrows to show a specific one to a customer and the customer decided they didn't like the way it looked and chose not to buy it.

The argument though was about whether a person should be "allowed" to look for aesthetics when shopping for a tool. It was pointed out that shoes, clothes, cars, houses, etc are all tools with a functional purpose that is primary and yet we don't decide people aren't allowed to care how those things look.

In fact in many of those things we as a society actively mock anyone who doesn't care what those things look like. Personally I don't mind if someone doesn't assign value to how a car looks. I don't myself. I think most of the best looking cars also tend to have the least real world functionality. However I don't mock and judge those who do.

The argument though again was that those are different things that there are tools you're allowed to find aesthetics important and tools that you're not. Even though neither will need those aesthetics to do the job.

I don't understand why people can't just accept that different people value different things?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I saw that story, and basically they wasted the person's time by making them move a bunch of heavy equipment for something they should have seen the color of before. If you don't like a color, whatever, but they could have decided that before making that poor employee move EVERYTHING.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
      I saw that story, and basically they wasted the person's time by making them move a bunch of heavy equipment for something they should have seen the color of before. If you don't like a color, whatever, but they could have decided that before making that poor employee move EVERYTHING.
      Right but sorry if it wasn't clear I wasn't discussing that aspect but rather the idea that we can and should police what other people value. I'm on the side of "I can't tell you to not place value on something just because I don't"

For example at work I noticed one of my co-workers has a Star Wars tattoo. I enjoy watching a new Star Wars movie when it comes out. I don't read the books, comics, watch the cartoons, or really any of that other stuff I watch the movie, eat some popcorn, and move on with my life.

However I don't feel it's my place to judge this person as being a less valuable person or "entitled" for caring more about Star Wars than I do. But the story I brought up in the original post raised the interesting question that someone felt the person not liking a wheelbarrow because of Aesthetics was entitled. Not because she had the guy move a bunch of them but because she dared to have a preference on how it looked.

It seems ridiculous to me to insist that all other people only value that which we ourselves deem worthy of value.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Meh I feel that way about sports. I don't understand why anyone gets excited over them at all, it's boring and ridiculous to me. I feel they have way too much value placed on them. For the most part it's a bunch of guys running after a ball, in most cases anyway.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
        X