Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The customer is a moron" AKA when did we all become Randall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The customer is a moron" AKA when did we all become Randall?

As a person who has spent most of his adult life working with customers I love visiting sites that poke fun at the interactions between Customers and Cashiers allowing us to know we're not alone.

I'm noticing a shift on the Cashier side of things though. More and more stories with nuance where neither side is wholly right or wrong in the transaction being treated like the Cashier is some hero and the Customer is a literal brain dead moron.

The comments sections explode into a series of downvotes if you so much as point out how the communication between the two parties broke down.

It's rolling over into other scenarios now too, "Teacher did a bad thing" "Gasp why wasn't teacher fired" "(nuanced answer that looks at all variables)" downvoted to oblivion. "Yeah I know right totally should have been fired Nuclear option all the way every time" 20,000 upvotes.

I wonder when we stopped getting nuance when we stopped paying attention to the details and then decided that our ignoring the nuance somehow makes us smarter than the people that do.

Any ideas?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

I wonder when we stopped getting nuance when we stopped paying attention to the details and then decided that our ignoring the nuance somehow makes us smarter than the people that do.

Any ideas?
    Theory: Social media. And people don't read the full story a lot of times, either. Social media allows people to be SJWs and have "mobs" of people who can "virtue signal". Also known as the "outrage mob".

Not saying it's right or wrong, it just is.

Granted, there are egregious things that people should be fired for, but sometimes people get disciplined/reprimanded/fired for small sleights, because someone throws a big enough fit.

Comment

It wasn't a small sleight it was absolutely something that would have justified a firing. However the argument I had been making was that the principal a third party to the incident had reasons of their own to grant leniency and make it a warning instead.

People were right to be pissed at the teacher. The nuance comes in understanding there are more than two people involved and instead of trying to understand someone else's judgement or the reasons for it we jump to "well I would have..."
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X