Catholic Church Opposes Suicide Hotline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Church Opposes Suicide Hotline

The Catholic Church opposed a suicide hotline because it would help LGBT+ people avoid suicide.

Let me repeat that, the Catholic Church opposed suicide prevention.

I have never been so shocked over religious hypocrisy before reading that.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

religion poisons EVERYTHING!!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I was raised Catholic but I haven't been to church in years because of crap like this. Doesn't even matter if you're a good little Catholic, it's never enough. The cliques and the judgement in the Catholic church is incredible.

Comment

Yeah, that's the Vatican, all right. Suicide is (if I remember correctly) a major sin, but as long as LGBT+ people can't get any help, well, reg'lr Catholics can't either ... thus imperilling their souls, according to the dogma of this same religion. I guess they consider it "collateral damage" or something.

Like Meg1079, I was raised Catholic. I'm now an atheist.
        Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
        ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

I think the thing is, the more liberal the pope the more you see this political backlash in the bishops and the more bizarre ways you see it manifest.

What I've found perpetually confusing is how a Religion so focused on redemption and salvation of the least of us is in practice entirely about serving/maximizing existing worldly power structure.

I don't even mean this in the sense that "they prioritize the sins I don't care about" - I just mean how little they care about the powerless unless they can be added to a worldly political apparatus.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
            I don't even mean this in the sense that "they prioritize the sins I don't care about" - I just mean how little they care about the powerless unless they can be added to a worldly political apparatus.
            Like the unborn. The Catholic church (and evangelicals in general) constantly scream about the plight of the unborn...simply because they know it will gain them votes. Otherwise, they don't give a crap about children--these same people will then scream about (and occasionally defund) the very same programs that would benefit those children. Then again, the Church has always seen children as pawns to be used for other purposes, which is another rant entirely. Anyone else see the Pope's recent announcement about how they would go after pedophile priests as "too little, too late?"

The other issue I had with the Church, is the constant "gimme" attitude (along with the guilt trips they try to lay on if you don't give "enough") they have. No matter how full their coffers are, they're still begging for more.

Comment

And now we have the horrors of those residential schools being held up to a glaring spotlight.

I saw an article that said these stories have "some" Catholics "thinking about" leaving the church. "Some" and merely "thinking about"???

Many MANY decades ago a priest tried to guilt-trip my mother (raised by a devoutly Catholic mom and a "Yeah, whatever" Catholic father) to sell her fish and their supplies and give the money to the church. She had ONE tank, by the way.

I wasn't there but heard about it later. Mom ripped him a new one and he backed down pretty quickly.
              Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
              ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Ya'll do realze that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops is not the same thing as the Vatican. Look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Judecat View Post
                  Ya'll do realze that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops is not the same thing as the Vatican. Look it up.
                  That is a distinction without a difference.
                  Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

No, it's not, The US conference is a group of political conservatives within the Catholic Church, but it is not the whole of the Catholic Church. Heck, they even publicly disagree with the Vatican. And they certainly do not represent or have any control over any country outside of the United States.

Comment

Working...
                    X