Miss California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss California?

So...let me get this all straight. During the 'question' part of the pageant, Miss California was asked about gay marriage. She hemmed and hawed before saying, "Well, I think marriage is between a man and a woman". She did not win the pageant.

Now, she's trying to sue people for the harrassment she's gotten and for not wining the pageant. Yeah, honey, I can't imagine why pageant judges wouldn't vote for a homophobe. I even heard her say that, "I don't care about being politically correct, I want to be biblically correct". Oh, gag me with a spoon.

So, she apparently advocates discriminating against American citizens based solely on their sexuality and now she's complaining about harrassment? First of all, you openly advocate discrimination, you deserve to be called out for the prejudiced twit that you are. Second of all, this wasn't a job. This was a PAGEANT. A freakin' beauty contest. Have you considered that the girl that won might have been prettier than you? Does that hurt your little feelings? Awwww...too bad, bitch! You just hurt a lot of my friends.

she wasnt even first runner up before the question period which meant her score went UP after she answered her question.
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

the one nitpick I will make... I doubt Miss California (or most people who are accused of being homophobes) are truly homophobes. Yes, there are people who legitimately fear and hate homosexuals... the majority though are heterosupremicists... they believe in the inherint superioirty of heterosexuals. It's a fine line I know, but there is a distinction. It's possible that Miss California isn't even a heterosupremicist... she may merely be an extreme heteronormalist (which hell... most homosexuals are heteronormalists... we recognize that heterosexuality is the norm) to the point of believing that anything that isn't the norm should not be recognized as existing.
      Now, I'm in no way saying she's right... she could not be more wrong, and what she said is most defintily hurtful... but overusing the word 'homophobe' is only going to make the word lose meaning when describing people who truly are homophobic.
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I'm amazed she was even able to answer the question, as horrifying as her answer was.

But I gotta remember, it's a beauty pageant, not a brain pageant.

Comment

So, they ask her a question about her opinion, and she gets shit for her opinion because it isn't the "majority" opinon? Why is her opinion supposedly shit? So it isn't the "preferred" opinion. All she said is that she thinks marriage should be between a man and a women. Big deal. It isn't like she said all homosexuals should be sent to concentration camps and erased from existence.

I think she had more balls than most people like her to actually state HER opinion, not the opinion she SHOULD have given.

Also, on a side note: Perez Hilton can fuck off. I don't care that he's homosexual, I just think he's an ass.

Comment

How can we live in a tolerant society, if we're unwilling to tolerate prejudice?

I've got to agree with DD on this, although, sueing for harrassment and saying she lost because of that is somewhat... extreme.

But... if you enter into some sort of competition, to win you've got to give the judges what they want, so in a context, yes, there was a preferred opinion required in order to win.

But the question just sucked! If they weren't going to like a variety of answers, then they shouldn't be asking it! (ie, I didn't know there was a right or wrong answer when asking for someone's opinion on a certain topic)
            ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Sorry, but advocating discrimination of American citizens based solely on sexuality is a wrong opinion. Not long ago, in some parts of the US, the majority of the population felt that intermarriage between races was wrong and passed laws to that effect. Is that okay, too?

She's 'getting shit' because more and more Americans in this country are tired of right-wing religious bullshit and want equal rights for everyone and equal protection under the law.

Comment

Regardless of her opinion, P Hilton was right about her answer it was a crappy answer and Miss America is supposed to find a way to represent ALL Americans.

Her answer (garbled as it was) divided people along sexual orientation lines and Miss A's job is not to divide it is to unite. She would have been better to dodge the question about sexual orientation and appear intelligent and patriotic at the same time by pointing out that is up the each state to decide.

There were at least two other questions that were just as hard and controversial by the way and the other two contestants answered them in a much less garbled way. Miss C didn't loose Miss A because she doesn't support "opposite marriage" (wtf?) she lost it because she gave a garbled and divisive answer and she wasn't in the lead before the final question round anyway.
                I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                  Now, she's trying to sue people for the harrassment she's gotten and for not wining the pageant.
                  I've read that she could sue, not that she is suing.

Also, to my knowledge, the "Miss California Could Sue!" story was "broken" by Fox News. They're trying to stir up controversy about it. Why do the hard work of reporting on actual news when they can just make shit up from the comfort of their own studios?

Comment

How does expressing one's opinion, when you are specifically asked for it (regardless of the situation.. though obviously some people will deliberately misconstrue such situations to their own benefit), equal 'advocating'. Also, how can a person's 'opinion' be 'wrong' (unless said person is actually not espressing their own real opinion, and only saying what someone wants to hear..aka 'lying')?

Just because someone finds another's opinion distasteful, does not mean it is 'wrong'. Should she have won the competition (presuming that it was that question and opinion that lost it for her?), I would say no, for the reasons given above... but I do think everyone is entitled to their opinion..(we're just better if some people don't bother to express it).
                    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                      Regardless of her opinion, P Hilton was right about her answer it was a crappy answer and Miss America is supposed to find a way to represent ALL Americans.
                      Oh, it was the Miss USA pageant not the Miss America pageant that she was competeting in. Two totally different pageants and well, I think if I remember the Miss America pageant is held in the summer. Also Miss USA competes in the Miss Universe pageant and Miss America doesn't compete in anything.

Anyway I don't think I was quite surprise to hear Miss California opinion on this topic and well, consider that her state's issue with Prop 8 not to mention she's from a religious family. I think if she wants marriage between a man and woman only that's her opinion and yes, you might not agree and thinks she is wrong but that's your opinion.

Now I really think if a homosexual couple wants to get marry thats fine, I don't think its up to the government to tell us who we shouldn't marry or not. I mean they aren't hurting anyone for that matter. As for this whole definition business I mean there have been words that have their meanings change over the past few decades. I mean for instance the word "gay" (ironic, uh) which used to mean "happy" (think West Side Story and the song "I Feel Pretty") but now we refer it to a homosexual person specifically male. Now why can't we change "marriage" from between a man and a woman to between two individuals.
                      Yours truly, Robyn.
                      Myspace
                      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                        How does expressing one's opinion, when you are specifically asked for it (regardless of the situation.. though obviously some people will deliberately misconstrue such situations to their own benefit), equal 'advocating'.
                        Look up the definition of advocate on dictionary.com

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                        Also, how can a person's 'opinion' be 'wrong' (unless said person is actually not espressing their own real opinion, and only saying what someone wants to hear..aka 'lying')? Just because someone finds another's opinion distasteful, does not mean it is 'wrong'.
                        The KKK is of the opinion that people of African descent are sub-human, the Nazis held the same opinion of people of the Jewish faith, some Americans have that opinion of followers of Muslum-are those opinions correct?

What about a customer that holds the opinion that "you work retail you must be beneath me/stupid" or holds the opinion of our favorite type of person the EW? Are you beneath them? If their opinion can't be wrong....well....

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
                        So, they ask her a question about her opinion, and she gets shit for her opinion because it isn't the "majority" opinon? Why is her opinion supposedly shit?
                        see above examples-they also weren't the "majority" opinion-did/do those groups deserve to get flack for the opinions they hold?

The westboro baptist church has very strong opinions-do they "deserve" the flack they get for it?

Some people obviously like pink camoflage clothing, in their opinion it looks good-doesn't stop people on CS(and to an extent here) from giving them flack now does it?
                        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by rdp78 View Post
                          Also Miss USA competes in the Miss Universe pageant and Miss America doesn't compete in anything
                          Potato Patato IMO they all wear a sparkly dress and walk around and smile.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                            The KKK is of the opinion that people of African descent are sub-human, the Nazis held the same opinion of people of the Jewish faith, some Americans have that opinion of followers of Muslum-are those opinions correct?
                            If the Nazi genuinely believes that Jews are subhuman, and isn't just parroting his superiors, then yes, his opinion is "correct" because he really does believe it. Opinions aren't wrong, but that doesn't mean they can't be immoral, misinformed, or absurd. It's just arguing over semantics. In this case, "correct" means "actually believed," not "moral" or "good".

Comment

I also believe opinions can be wrong. It generally depends on what it's about. Usually, the kind of opinions that can be wrong are at the extremes.

Believing someone is subhuman because of their religion/gender/etc. is wrong.
                              Believing the world is flat is wrong.
                              Believing the solar system revolves around the Earth is wrong.
                              Believing the Detroit Lions did well last year is wrong.

All opinions, yet all are wrong.
                              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                              X