2010 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Census

I just saw a story on the news regarding how to list your race on the 2010 US Census form and it's really grinding my gears.

One woman was having a hard time picking something under "race" because there was no choice of "Hispanic" and she refused to mark "White".

Hate to break it to her, but "Hispanic" is an ethnicity, not a race. If you are of Spanish descent, (and a lot of people in this state are quick to tell you that they are) that makes you as white and European as I am. Last time I checked, Spain was still on the European continent.

I can understand needing to mark another one as a lot of people are of mixed races. BUT, if you are carrying on about your "pure Spanish blood", then you're gonna have to mark "white"....just like me.

I just wish that they would put a selection for "Celtic" for ethnicity since there are a lot of us. But that's another rant for another time.
    We may have come out of the kitchen, but we still know where the sharp objects are kept.

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I just want to make sure that I'm right about this.

Aren't there just three races? Mongoloid, Negroid, and Caucasoid?

And the ethnic groups are subcategories under those categories?
    "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Well, that's 3 of the current ones. As humans have branched out, especially the Europeans, they found other people.

The 5 that are used now are:
      1. Caucasoid
      2. Congoid (Negroid)
      3. Capoid
      4. Mongoloid
      5. Australoid

This is really interesting to read: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Historical_de...of_race?t=6.#6.

But, I think that UNESCO has a better idea. Drop the concept of "race" altogether and use ethnic groups.

Saying I'm "white" or Joe Blow is "black" doesn't really tell you anything. Now, if I tell you that I'm Celtic-Viking-Norman, you can at least get an idea of where my ancestors came from. That tells you a lot more about me.

This is why being referred to as a WASP pissed me off one time. I may be white, but I'm not Angle, Saxon, or Protestant!
      We may have come out of the kitchen, but we still know where the sharp objects are kept.

Comment

Did she even read the rest of the form? The reason "hispanic" isn't a choice is that there's a whole separate question separating Hispanic into subcategories!
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Okay! Thanks for that info Pagan!
          "It's after Jeopardy, so it is my bed time."- Me when someone made a joke about how "old" I am.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            Did she even read the rest of the form? The reason "hispanic" isn't a choice is that there's a whole separate question separating Hispanic into subcategories!
            Well, we all know that people read only what they want to read and nothing else. You know, come to think of it, I think that it was pointed out to her, but she was dead set on complaining.

I'd look at mine again, except I already sent it back.

Comment

We already got our form and they explain the whole Hispanic / White thing. They say that Latin Americans / Hispanics are white but also offer a list below for Latin American / Hispanic nationalities.

Comment

But what about those that really aren't from the European bloodlines? Sure, there may be some traces of it, but a lot of the Mexican and Central American "Hispanics" are more of tribal (I can't think of a better word here) ancestry than European.

This is something that pissed me off a few years ago. I went to go give blood and it said in big, bold letters that "Hispanic Is not A Race" but yet apparently Hawaiian is. is there even a pure Hawaiian bloodline anymore? Hell, 95% (rough guesstimate) of the so called "Hawaiians" here in Vegas are actually just Filipinos trying to be cool.

CH
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Erg, yeah. I'm Italian, German, etc, etc, but i still put white, because hey, European descent FTW!

I'm running into the same problem on a survey I had to create and administer. One of the questions specifically asks which racial category best describes you.

I've had people select other and in the please specify box, write in (so far), Hebrew, Arabic, etc, etc.

Oi vey...

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                    But what about those that really aren't from the European bloodlines? Sure, there may be some traces of it, but a lot of the Mexican and Central American "Hispanics" are more of tribal (I can't think of a better word here) ancestry than European.
                    The only European nationality I noticed on the census was Spain. They did list Mexico, Brazil, Chilean, Argentine, Peruvian, etc..

I'll agree, a lot of them are tribal / descendants of the Mayans / Aztechs and the ones I've met are very proud of this.

Comment

"Hispanic" merely means of Spanish-speaking descent. Most of the Mexican/Latino ethnicity are the ancestors of Mayan/Aztec women who were raped by Spanish conquistadors. Also, Spain is unique in Western Europe in that it used to be a Muslim nation (the Moores). Hence the Spanish word "moreno" meaning brown or dark.
                      The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                      my brother's

Comment

Ill admit...Im Puertorican...I checked puertorican, but for "Race" I put other...I dont consider myself white whether hispanic is a true race or not. I was also slightly confused...Lol.

Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Amina516 View Post
                          Ill admit...Im Puertorican...I checked puertorican, but for "Race" I put other...I dont consider myself white whether hispanic is a true race or not. I was also slightly confused...Lol.

Meh.

I'm also Puerto Rican & where it says to mark down "race' I checked "other" & wrote in "Boricua". I've never considered myself to be white.

Comment

Just don't write in "Kentucky Derby."
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Has anyone entered "meat popsicle"? If not, I claim it.

Comment

Working...
                              X