Animals in the office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animals in the office

I've been in my office job full-time for a few months now, and things are going okay, if a little slow. There's just one problem.

The office cat.

Those of you who've read my posts over the years know I love animals, especially cats. And most of the time I have no problem with a workplace having a resident pet. But they must meet three qualifications:
    1. Housebroken
    2. Spayed or neutered
    3. Friendly (or at least tolerant) of the people there

This cat is none of the above. She was a stray that the second in command brought in from inside, and never bothered to get spayed. The cat has been in heat constantly for several months, is spraying and urinating everywhere (yes, there's a difference, spray goes on the walls, urination on the floor) and dislikes everyone except the SIC (though that's the least of the problems).

Everyone who works there has complained about this, more than once. The place reeks of cat urine constantly, it ruins your shoes, there's no getting away from it. Even if the cat got spayed now, she'd still pee everywhere. If the landlord walked in, there'd be serious hell to pay.

And the cat is still there. The SIC gives all sorts of excuses, nothing gets done, everyone is getting ill from the stench and the warm weather is coming, which means the smell is going to get worse. Complaining to the business owner won't do any good, as he is in the store no more than 2 hours 3 days a week, and the elderly dog he brings in with him also whizzes everywhere. It's a small company, there is no corporate.

I'd hate to leave a job so soon after getting it, but I may have no choice. I just really wish people would use their heads as well as their hearts when taking in an animal.
    People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
    If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

I'm pretty sure allowing that to go on is a health hazard to the employees and can be reported as such.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I take it that either there are no clients of any kind who ever have to visit this office, or else the owner doesn't care about making money.

Perhaps a tip to the landlord?
      Last edited by HYHYBT; 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Two choices:

Call OSHA
        Call the Landlord

Both of those will be cause for the owner to make the cat go.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          I take it that either there are no clients of any kind who ever have to visit this office, or else the owner doesn't care about making money.
          It's all phone sales. Don't think I'm not tempted to look up the landlord, but I wouldn't know where to find out who owns the building, plus I have a feeling that the complaint will be traced back to me, and I'll have a helluva time finding a new job.
          If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

If you decide to pursue looking up the property owner, I'd suggest checking your city/county website.

Our county has what they call "Parcel Viewer", which gives a bunch of info on all properties within the county.

Mike
            If I Were a Master Debater, You'd Likely Catch Me Fratching on a Daily Basis!

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post
              It's all phone sales. Don't think I'm not tempted to look up the landlord, but I wouldn't know where to find out who owns the building, plus I have a feeling that the complaint will be traced back to me, and I'll have a helluva time finding a new job.
              Public records.

And you can protect yourself under whistleblower status since it's a health issue.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I feel bad for the cat. If it's peeing everywhere, it could be a UTI.

Comment

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
                  I feel bad for the cat. If it's peeing everywhere, it could be a UTI.
                  More likely that it's marking territory.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    More likely that it's marking territory.
                    She's spraying to attract mates. Even now that she's (finally) been spayed, old habits die hard.

Comment

It's too late now, but if I was in that situation, I'd probably have smuggled in a tomcat and let them take care of business. Deal with the kittens when they show up; it's easier than coping with nymphomania.

(that's the technical term for a cat that won't go out of heat; I'm not making a joke or anything)

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        Two choices:

Call OSHA
                        Call the Landlord

Both of those will be cause for the owner to make the cat go.

^-.-^
                        Isn't the problem that the cat won't STOP going?

Comment

Working...
                        X