Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring spheres are the new Easter eggs

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=459668

16-year-old student in Seattle wanted to do community project involving handing out candy-filled plastic eggs to a class of 3rd graders. She ran the idea past the teacher who said she had to run it past the school's administration first. Teacher said it was okay as long as the girl called them "spring spheres". The girl didn't say anything about it then, and decided to go along.

When she did hand out the eggs ... Er ... spheres ... the teacher immediately said "OoO! Spring spheres!" and the kids said "Easter eggs!"

I can just imagine the teacher exclaiming and oohing and ahhing over the "spring spheres" and acting really giddy and the kids looking at her like she's an idiot and saying (in unison) "No! Easter eggs!"

Also ... Spheres = oval shaped eggs? I thought sphere meant round. Not semi-round. Not well, it's sorta kinda round. Maybe sphere has a new definition that I don't know about?
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
    Also ... Spheres = oval shaped eggs? I thought sphere meant round. Not semi-round. Not well, it's sorta kinda round. Maybe sphere has a new definition that I don't know about?
    Spring ovoids just doesn't have the same ring, you know?

Although, I wonder why that dippy teacher didn't just do some research and try to find out what they were called before Christianity co-opted the practice.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This doesn't really surprise me. Locally, the PC crowd changed Christmas to "Sparkle Season" But "spring spheres?" Are you fucking kidding me?

Comment

Sparkle Season? Would that be in honor of Mr. Sparkle or...no, I won't go there.

Frankly, I'm all for starting a brand new religion that incorporates some of the PC terms just to see if I can scare the PCists into coming up with new terminology to combat that trend.
        The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          Spring ovoids just doesn't have the same ring, you know?

Although, I wonder why that dippy teacher didn't just do some research and try to find out what they were called before Christianity co-opted the practice.

^-.-^
          Wikipedia tells me that they were just painted eggs for various beliefs. Now Wikipedia may not be the best source, but if Wikipedia doesn't have a name besides eggs...
          I has a blog!

Comment

This is why political correctness fails. Even the students know they're Easter eggs and continue to call them Easter Eggs. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling them "Spring Spheres".

Comment

Okay, at this point, we're just...too far gone for any sort of reprieve.

To echo others before me, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Is this because it's politically incorrect to say Peter Fucking Rabbit died for our sins and on the third day hid some eggs around?

Okay, no religious stuff in schools. I get that. But eggs? Since when are Easter eggs religious? (Well, they might be religious, and frankly, probably are, but not of...well...any of those religions. )

Un believe able.

Comment

You know, if I ever teach in a public school again, I'm totally doing an Easter egg lesson around Easter. Starting with Zoroastrianism and ending with Christianity.

I'd still get complaints though, I'm sure >.<
                I has a blog!

Comment

I would never go along with calling something "spring spheres." You know why? I'd be afraid someone would hear me say it and have my happy ass committed.

I'm just not willing to appear that stupid. I got to draw the line somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                    You know, if I ever teach in a public school again, I'm totally doing an Easter egg lesson around Easter. Starting with Zoroastrianism and ending with Christianity.

I'd still get complaints though, I'm sure >.<
                    well if you covered all the religions that used eggs in celebration, I doubt they could say much, especially if it was done as a history lesson.
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      I would never go along with calling something "spring spheres." You know why? I'd be afraid someone would hear me say it and have my happy ass committed.

I'm just not willing to appear that stupid. I got to draw the line somewhere.

I agree
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Spring Spheres? Are you fucking serious??? "Happy Holidays" wasn't so bad, but this...

And as someone mentioned before, they're ovals, not spheres. Just when I think our school systems couldn't possibly get any stupider, I see something like that.
                        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Happy holidays makes sense. There is more than one holiday around that time of year, after all. Even a Christian I want to be happy both on Christmas and on New Years.

Spring Spheres...

What? This has to be some sort of joke. Has anyone ever been offended by calling them easter eggs?
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                            What? This has to be some sort of joke. Has anyone ever been offended by calling them easter eggs?
                            Just give it a little while.

Comment

Damn it, I just want to bash my head against a wall. All this PC shit has got to stop it makes me sad to think this is the world my niece and my kids (when I have them) are gonna be growing up in.
                              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Working...
                              X