Cheese please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheese please?

I don't know if any of you have heard about the cheese smuggling ring that was recently broken up in Canada. Several former police officers were involved, and at least one current officer. Amusing really.

What doesn't amuse me is what the article reported about the price of cheese. Apparently, it's a third less in the States. Why is US cheese so cheap compared to ours? Are American dairy farmers subsidized? (quite possibly) Or are we just protectionist? I'm voting for that. I can't get Kerrygold butter up here, and it says on their website they can't import it to Canada!

I hate this place sometimes.

Cheese.....smuggling......I.....wha?

Comment

Until now, the only time I'd heard of smuggling cheese was an episode of I Love Lucy.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Dairy farmers are, indeed, subsidized.

And, unless it's changed, the Dairy Association sets the prices of milk and related by their distance from Wisconsin as it was back in the days prior to refrigerated transport. >_>

Plus, they ran a smear campaign against raw milk, so I kind of have a thing against them.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's not just cheese, but dairy.

A few weeks ago there was a media shitstorm over people complaining that Canadians were coming over the border and travelling to a Costco and stocking up with 30 gallons of milk at a time. Of course, the original bitching was over the fact that those damned Cannucks were taking the parking spots of Americans...

Comment

Canada, as a citizen of the United States, I will grant you access to our cheese if you agree to the following:

- Take and properly dispose of the following: Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and Michael Buble
            - Allow greater access to poutine
            - Apologize for allowing the following to cross the border: Beiber, Dion and Buble.
            - Realize that not all Americans are idiots and also not all idiots are American.

Thanks

(feel free to add/modify the list)

Comment

I think the states owes far more apologies for their bands than we do ours.

Further say thank you for hockey, basketball, the telephone and our electricity you guys use all the time.

And you guys can also apologize for george w bush

Further just remember the fact we're one of the countries you didn't win a war with.

Comment

I'm curious how the telephone gets in that list...

And it may have been a Canadian transplant that invented basketball, but he did it as an American.

No apologies for either Bush from me, as I wasn't responsible for either.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, y'all should me thanking ME for basketball, right?

Rock Chalk!

Comment

Except no, because basketball was invented in Canada.

Next?
                    Last edited by the_std; 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

First, your link doesn't work, and second, Naismith invented the game while in Massachusetts, not in Canada, which he had left a year prior. Pretty much all sources (I can access) agree on that point.

^-.-^

Comment

Whoops, fixed the link!

I was being fascetious - I thought this was just good natured ribbing (hence the :P). I also recognize that I used the wrong phrase, I should have said - it was invented by a Canadian. Either way, it means that the sport is not entirely ruled by Americans - we had and continue to have a big hand in it.

Comment

Well, big hands do help a lot with ball handling... >_>

^-.-^

Comment

Laaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwl...

-_-;;

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                              I'm curious how the telephone gets in that list...

And it may have been a Canadian transplant that invented basketball, but he did it as an American.

No apologies for either Bush from me, as I wasn't responsible for either.

^-.-^
                              Within six days of the arrival in Canada of the Bell family on August 1, 1870, Melville Bell purchased a house in Brantford, Ontario, now known as the Bell Homestead at Tutelo Heights. Alexander Graham Bell's recovery was rapid. Just over a year after being in Canada he was able to accept an invitation to teach deaf children in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. Summer vacations, Christmas holidays and at every other opportunity he returned to the Homestead at Brantford. It was there, in the summer of 1874, that Bell told his father how he proposed to build a telephone. He drew diagrams and made many notes and this material along with his father's diary, helped prove Bell's claim to the invention of the telephone when some 600 unsuccessful attempts were made to nullify his patent, taken out in the USA on March 7, 1876.

No Bell was NOT Canadian and the Telephone didn't make a first official appearance until Bell was in the U.S. but Canada did play an important role in its early development and thus it is often considered something of a Canadian invention.

However, there are many individuals who claimed to have invented the telephone and although Bell is the most widely cited, there's no universal agreement on who actually made the breakthrough.

Comment

Working...
                              X