"Stupid Motorist" law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stupid Motorist" law?

Would you be in favor of one, as it relates (mostly) to flooding?

Details:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...flood/53097102

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law

no, but not for the reason you'd think. I don't think the law goes far enough. The way I see it, if someone gets somebody- including themselves- into a situation where it's reasonably foreseeable they will need rescue, that person should be liable for the cost of rescuing the person in peril, and depending on what said person did, a fine as well. ( to give an example, the classic case of a stupid motorist going out into a flood should be required to pay the cost of rescue. IF they went out into the flood because their employer told them to come in or they would be fired, then, if it is due to corporate policies, the company AND whoever came up with such a moronic policy should be liable for a) the cost of rescue b) any damage to the car- including, if the car is ruined, a brand-new replacement ( within reason- it must cost about the same as whatever the latest version of the car that was ruined cost) c) a heavy fine for the company- as in, a percentage of turnover- and/or imprisonment for whoever took the decision to create such a policy. (if it was simply a particularly moronic manager, then the manager becomes liable for both the company and individual parts. Yes, I know it would likely bankrupt the manager. That's the point. It's designed to act as a deterrent against people who cares so little about risking someone else's life that they would force someone into a dangerous situation. Hence, as well, why if it is a corporate policy, the company takes the brunt of the blow.)

Comment

I'm a little on the fence but not for the reason you'd think. I'm all for holding idiots accountable, but at the same time this law is already dealing with idiots. Idiots who, if they are aware of the law but still doing idiot things, may actually not call for help when they find themselves in a bad situation. Because of the possibility of a monetary penalty.

Which would end up with them either dead or in an even more dangerous situation when first responders do finally arrive.

They are idiots, after all.

Comment

Part of the problem here in Arizona is that our weather reports seem to go overboard/exaagerate when talking about anything other than sunshine/heat, so it's hard to know whether or not to take "flash flood warnings" seriously.

*this is just my personal opinion, though

Comment

I can understand someone having to drive through a partially-flooded road--that is, if they have no choice, otherwise they'd be trapped. However, the idiots with the SUVs and pickups that see the road flooded, and insist on ignoring the detours.

For example, locally, a classic one is the flooding that always happens on Streets Run Rd. There simply isn't anywhere for the water to go, especially when heavy rains bring down all the logs and other crap down from the hillsides. Sooner or later, the stream will back up, and Streets Run goes underwater.

Most of us know to make the left and go up the hill. Yes, having to drive 5-6-7 miles out of your way to get around a one-mile closure sucks. But, would you rather get stuck (you will get stuck, there's no "maybe" here), ruin your vehicle and possibly lose your life because you chose to drive around a barricade and/or ignore the officer directing you to turn left?

I've seen footage of idiots in trucks attempting to drive through the water--even when it's almost up to their hood. They'll charge through there, lose traction, and then get stuck. All in an effort to save 10 minutes of driving time

Comment

You could have laws, but it won't stop stupidity. I read about a story about a woman who drove into a creek because the bridge was out. She had gotten out of her car and moved the "Road Closed" barriers before she had her accident.

Then there's this woman who tried to drive on a flooded street on her liquor cycle (moped), and this guy who tried to drive his van on a flooded street.

Too many people never heed barriers and never learn from their mistakes. They should have to pay for their own stupid actions.
            Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

IIRC here in South Dakota (at least in the winter time) if you ignore the road closed signs, and don't manage to make it through and get ticketed, but instead get stuck and have to call for rescue the State will charge you for the costs of the rescue.

Comment

Working...
              X