• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdminAssistant
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    Tenure possibly?
    Ehhh....tenure's a safety net, and necessary when your job performance is evaluated (in part) by students. There are actually classes here that they won't let non-tenured faculty teach, because they know that whiny-ass students will rip them up on evaluations. But merit raises should still be part of the deal.

One important thing to note - college faculty generally aren't unionized the way K-12 teachers tend to be. (GTA's are, but that's because they were/are frequently abused by the system.)

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    Tenure possibly?

Leave a comment:

• AdminAssistant
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    LOL Did you just imply businessmen do hard, gritty physical labor?
    No, that was just bad phrasing...what I get for trying to play WoW and post at the same time. What I was trying to say is that performance bonuses are seen as necessary in the private sector, but not in education. Why?

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    Besides, don't businessmen and those in the private sector bitch and whine about how they need raises and good salaries to stay motivated? Why does that not apply to those in higher education? Because we're not doing hard, gritty physical labor, we don't deserve a decent living? Nah, we're only educating the leaders of tomorrow.
    LOL Did you just imply businessmen do hard, gritty physical labor?

Leave a comment:

• AdminAssistant
    replied
    Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
    I'm sorry, but professors are overpaid. Maybe a non-tenured year professor may not be highly paid, but, they are better paid than a lot of people. Do the professors get their step increases for being employed by the school for a certain amount of time?
    Not always. A promotion usually grants a pay increase, but those only come around at 6 years (tenure/associate professor) and at 10-12 years (full professor).

However, many schools are hiring more adjunct/lecturers for $2000 per class, no health benefits. So, a 4/4 teaching load (a LOT of teaching, usually the dreaded intro classes as well) grants a whopping $16,000/year. Add to that all of the time that we're supposed to spend doing outside research and publishing, and it's hard to make a living.

An assistant professor in the humanities will typically make $20,000-30,000 their first year. An associate...maybe $40-50 K. It isn't until you hit full professor that you start making good money, all the time working 60-70 hour weeks (if you combine the teaching, research, and service).

Besides, don't businessmen and those in the private sector bitch and whine about how they need raises and good salaries to stay motivated? Why does that not apply to those in higher education? Because we're not doing hard, gritty physical labor, we don't deserve a decent living? Nah, we're only educating the leaders of tomorrow.

The situation is much better in the hard sciences, social sciences, and professional schools (med, law, vet, etc.) I just read an article for class that talked about a study that was done on education funding. They found that colleges are taking money earned from tuition from humanities classes (especially English Composition) and rerouting it to science departments to fund research infrastructure...costs not covered by grants. So, basically, they're taking money away from me, giving it to them to keep the lights on, AND paying their TA's twice as much. Nice.

Leave a comment:

• daleduke17
    replied
    Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
    As Fiance said last night: "Wooo, a split Congress!!! Now shit's not gonna get done twice as fast!" Sad but true. Personally, I'm more worried about the conservative dickwad who's taking over as KS Governor. Just when we need to increase spending for education (public schools are struggling, college professors haven't had a merit raise in about 4 years, etc.), he's going to slash taxes, to do things, "The Kansas way!!"

Come Back, Sebelius....Come BAAAACCCKKKKK!!!!!!
    I'm sorry, but professors are overpaid. Maybe a non-tenured year professor may not be highly paid, but, they are better paid than a lot of people. Do the professors get their step increases for being employed by the school for a certain amount of time?

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Originally posted by joe hx View Post
    Quick question - is trickle down economics giving rich people money or letting them keep the money they've earned?
    It's about taking a smaller percentage of money from the people who need it the least in the hopes that they'll spend it and it'll somehow reach the people who need it the most.

I'll get back to you when I start seeing any of it...

^-.-^

Leave a comment:

• FArchivist
    replied
    Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    actually talk is they're looking to Mitt Romney-which Obama wouldn't stand a chance against.
    Except that Mitt Romney doesn't have the support in his own party.
    Establishment Republicans will vote for him, sure. But the Tea Partiers, who now count for about 1/3 of the Republican Party? They won't give him any support. He's:

a) Mormon, proud of it, and unwilling to convert
    b) created state-funded health care in his state

All of the Tea Partiers I'm familiar with consider him a poison pill and a RINO. They want him out BAD.

Leave a comment:

• HYHYBT
    replied
    His problem would be *getting* to the general election, then. The trick would be to find somebody simultaneously far right enough to get the nomination *and* center enough to win.

(Though I don't even remember enough about Romney to know where he falls. All I remember is that he's from the Northeast someplace. If he's in things when we're less than a year from the election, then I'll look up more information; until then, it doesn't matter.)

Leave a comment:

• Fire_on_High
    replied
    Actually, most of them would leave it blank before voting for a RINO like Mitt. Or just stay home entirely as protest.

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
    Mitt doesn't have a prayer. The true right loathes him, for the most part.
    LOL Politics has become all about appeasing the middle, since that's where most people are these days. And do you really think the true right would vote for the Democrat because they don't particularly like the Republican candidate? No way. They will vote Republican in the election no matter what.

Leave a comment:

• joe hx
    replied
    Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    Trickle down economics, much like communism, is a fine theory, but falls apart in the real world.
    Quick question - is trickle down economics giving rich people money or letting them keep the money they've earned?

Leave a comment:

• Fire_on_High
    replied
    Mitt doesn't have a prayer. The true right loathes him, for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Originally posted by KitterCat View Post
    Our economy’s messed up, the unemployment rate is insane and this guy keeps breaking promises.
    Supposedly he's managed to already keep about 120, compromised on about 40, broken about 20, and has either stalled or is still working on another 300 or so. I'd say his record is pretty good.

^-.-^

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    You mean Obama spent money trying to do something to get us out of the mess Bush left us in and it's cost us a lot more money? Holy crap! Stop the presses.

Problems usually cost more money to fix than to make.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X